Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2012
    • (edited Sep 9th 2012)

I added to the “abstract nonsense” section in free monoid a helpful general observation on how to construct free monoids. “Adjoint functor theorem” is overkill for free monoids over SetSet.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorRodMcGuire

ummm, shouldn’t

Then a left adjoint to the forgetful functor Mon(C)CMon(C) \to C exists, taking an object cc to

n0c n,\sum_{n \geq 0} c^{\otimes n},

which thereby becomes the free monoid on CC.

really be

Then a left adjoint to the forgetful functor Mon(C)CMon(C) \to C exists, taking CC to

n0C n,\sum_{n \geq 0} C^{\otimes n},

which thereby becomes the free monoid on CC.

an object cc of CC is not involved.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • (edited Sep 9th 2012)

ummm… no. There was one typo in what I wrote: that should have been a lower-case cc before the period. I’ll go fix that. (Edit: done.)

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

The adjoint functor theorem is useful to do the proofs. (None of the constructions currently come with proofs that they are what we claim they are.)

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2012

Should I include a proof of the theorem I quoted? (Hm, not sure I really want to put myself out there, but I’ll ask anyway.)

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2012

I don’t think that it’s necessary now. It might be better to leave the proofs for somebody who doesn’t find the result obvious and wants to write down what they think of. (That’s usually what I do … not that I always find proofs obvious when I leave them out if I’m quoting the results from elsewhere.)

1. list currently redirects to free monoid. However, in homotopy type theory, lists as usually defined in the literature such as in section 5.1 of the HoTT book, as an inductive type generated by a term ε A:List(A)\epsilon_A:\mathrm{List}(A) and a function η A:A(List(A)List(A))\eta_A:A \to (\mathrm{List}(A) \to \mathrm{List}(A)), cannot in general be proven to be set-truncated; i.e. see the list on the circle type List(S 1)\mathrm{List}(S^1). Thus, I would propose splitting list out to its own article, while leaving this article explicitly for free monoids.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2023

It would make general sense to distinguish fine-print between the notions of free monoids and lists, and be it just to highlight that different terminology may depend on difference of applications. So as soon as there is material and editorial energy for a split, we should do it, and you are welcome to go ahead with it.

2. added section about free monoids in dependent type theory

Anonymous

diff, v30, current