Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2012
    • (edited Sep 9th 2012)

at inductive reasoning it says

Induction here is not to be confused with mathematical induction.

We should point out that, however, there is a close relation:

one can see this still in the German tem for, “induction over the natural numbers” which is not Induktion, but vollständige Induktion: meaning ” complete induction” !

I guess the reasoning is clear, mathematical induction (at least that over the natural numbers) is a special case of inductive reasoning, namely that where we can be sure that we are inducing from a complete set of instances of the general rule.

Does anyone feel like touching the entry accordingly to clarify this?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2012

So another example of inducing from a complete set of instance set of instances would be checking every element of a finite set?

And the most general case would be checking every constructor of an inductive type?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUlrik
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2012

Exactly. Finite sets are indeed inductively generated with a nullary constructor for each element. In particular, the empty set is inductively generated by no constructors, which is why you don’t have to do anything / check anything to map out of it / prove a property over it.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Okay, I have added a paragraph on inductive reasoning – mathematical induction. Feel free to improve.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I just notice that the German Wikipedia indeed amplifies this, too, at volständige Induktion:

Der Beiname „vollständig“ signalisiert, dass es sich hier im Gegensatz zur philosophischen Induktion, die aus Spezialfällen ein allgemeines Gesetz erschließt und kein exaktes Schlussverfahren ist, um ein anerkanntes deduktives Beweisverfahren handelt.

Hence

The qualifier “complete” indicates that, contrary to the philosophical induction, which deduces a general law from particular cases and is not an exact method of deduction, complete induction is an accepted method of deductive proof.

(I mean, you know all this of course. :-) I am just saying that its good to make that connection between philosophical induction and mathematical induction explicit.)

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2012

I added a rule of inference for inductive reasoning, which I have referred to in the sections on mathematical induction and Bayesian induction. I moved some of the probability stuff from the Idea section to the Bayesian section.

• CommentRowNumber7.

And then I moved much of that stuff to a new page on Bayesianism: Bayesian reasoning. But I don’t have time to finish that now.

• CommentRowNumber8.

By the way, very nice discussion of the relationship between the two notions of ‘induction’, Urs.