Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2012

I created Alex Heller at Jim’s suggestion. It is very stubby and could have a lot more added.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorjim_stasheff
    How about a link to

http://genealogy.math.ndsu.nodak.edu/id.php?id=4773
    I'd do it if I knew how.
    • CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Sep 28th 2012)

I have added this into the entry:

* [mathematics genealogy page](http://genealogy.math.ndsu.nodak.edu/id.php?id=4773)

• CommentRowNumber4.

Urs beat me to it. :-)

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Tim, Heller’s name appears in model structure and simplicial presheaves and related entries. Maybe you have time to add cross-links? I can’t right now.

• CommentRowNumber6.

I started to do this but then paused in the task. I will try to do it soon.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Any ideas on dates (or at least years) of birth and death?

• CommentRowNumber8.

None. I think death in 2008, judging from Notices AMS, but so far have not tracked down an obit.

• CommentRowNumber9.

Found it!

• CommentRowNumber10.

Alex Heller, professor emeritus from the Graduate School and University Center (CUNY), died on January 31, 2008. Born on July 9, 1925.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Good detective work!

• CommentRowNumber12.

I think I have linked to all the main entries that mention Alex. I have also updated the entry on him.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks, Tim!

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2012

Ronnie, Jim, myself and Alex’s ex-student Yoson together with others who knew Alex, combined to prepare (mostly done by Yoson) a short notice on Alex’s life and achievements. I have included as a file at Alex Heller. There was no Wikipedia nor St. Andrews page on him, yet for the stuff we talk about he was someone who made a considerable contribution. I hope to have a complete list of his papers soon, which I will attach in the same way.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorjim_stasheff
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2012
    Peter Freyd has some personal reminicences of interaction with Alex
    which I'm trying to get him to typeset. Anyone else care to contribute?
    • CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorTom Leinster
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2012

Tim: it’s Noson, not Yoson.

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2012

I forgot to check. I was confusing the initial of his family name with his first name! Silly, Doh! Thanks.

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2012
    • (edited Nov 12th 2012)

I have added links to copies of complete publication list in pdf and bibtex formats. Thanks to Noson for preparing these.