Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2009

saw activity at simple object and started a tiny section with examples.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2019

Looking at this article: what is the need for having a zero object as opposed to just a terminal? In other words, would it be worse to say an object is simple if it has precisely two quotients, itself and 11?

I’m particularly interested in the case of rings and commutative rings. One definition of simple ring is that it has precisely two two-sided ideals, and this condition is equivalent to the one I’m proposing. Similarly, a simple commutative ring under my proposal is just a field.

(It may be that the concept becomes interesting only under additional assumptions, such as Barr-exactness or something in that vein. That’s why I phrased my question as I did: would my proposal be any worse than the one given?)

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorAli Caglayan
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2019

The definition of simple ring on the nlab is RR is simple as a bimodule. This seems to be equivalent to your definition. As far as I can tell your definition should subsume that definition of simple ring. I think the terminology becomes problematic for Lie algebras however.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2019

Yeah, for Lie algebras there are practical reasons for excluding the 1-dimensional case.

But I’m asking a more general theoretical question (insofar as there should be a general “theory” of simple objects in categories).

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorJohn Baez
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2023

I beefed up Schur’s Lemma and proved it.

diff, v20, current

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2023

I went ahead and changed the definition, replacing zero object with terminal object. This allows the notion to capture more examples, for example simple rings. The fact that it doesn’t quite capture simple Lie algebras (because of a conventional fiat that simple Lie algebras are supposed to be nonabelian) seems more like a historical accident in naming conventions, than for any particularly great mathematical reason. Correct me if I’m wrong about that.

diff, v23, current

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorRodMcGuire
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2023

since the definition has been relaxed from zero object to terminal object

diff, v24, current