Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorronniegpd
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2012
    I have added some information on the work of Henry Whitehead which is related to this topic, and referred to work of Graham Ellis, and of Higgins and I, which is relevant.

I expect I have not given the best code for all of this so someone may want to improve it in that respect.

Graham, also writes in his paper:

In view of the ease with which Whitehead's methods handle the
    classifications of Olum and Jajodia, it is surprising that the
    papers \cite{olum:1953} and \cite{jaj:1980} (both of which were
    written after the publication of \cite{whjhc:1949}) make
    respectively no use, and so little use, of \cite{whjhc:1949}.

We note here that B. Schellenberg, who was a student of Olum, has
    rediscovered in \cite{sch:1973} the main classification theorems
    of \cite{whjhc:1949}. The paper \cite{sch:1973} relies heavily on
    earlier work of Olum.
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2012

I had trouble detecting the article you added to, before I finally resorted to “Recently Revised”: history of cohomology with local coefficients

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2012

At present there seems to be discussion of non-abelian H 2H^2 but almost nothing on H 1H^1, with or without local coefficients. (I point this out as I am trying to write a section in the monograph I am working on, that makes the link between Serre’s definition of non-abelian H 1(G,A)H^1(G,A) and the corresponding H 1H^1 for simplicial profinite spaces. … and the task is proving difficult at the level I am assuming for the reader!

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorronniegpd
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2012
    Tim: I wonder if the notions of "fibrations of groupoids" and "groupoids as coefficients" are relevant: I would like to believe they were! (10 and 11 on my pub list, and downloadable). They both deal with nonabelian cohomology.

See also 164. `Exact sequences of fibrations of crossed complexes, homotopy
    classification of maps, and nonabelian extensions of groups', J.
    Homotopy and Related Structures 3 (2008) 331-343.

for the higher dimensional case.