Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2012

I’m not sure this question has been answered (either here or in the nLab). Famously, Urs shows that the Cahier topos is a cohesive topos; as far as I can tell, this topos is not covered in Moerdijk-Reyes (which is the only text on SDG I have in my home library). The material in the nLab on various models for SDG that are covered in that text, which go by names like \mathcal{F}, 𝒢\mathcal{G} (“the Dubuc topos”), 𝒵\mathcal{Z}, and \mathcal{B}, is pretty thin.

Do we know which of these models is a cohesive topos?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Good question! (-:

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

This has the same kind of answer as the analogous question about cohesive models in algebraic geometry that we are discussing every now and then in different threads:

in order to get a locally connected 1-topos / locally \infty-connected \infty-topos, we need a site of definition that consists of objects which are contractible as seen by its Grothendieck topology (as discussed at infinity-cohesive site).

So I think neither of these other toposes can be cohesive. But one may want to look into restricting to subsites of C C^\infty-rings that are larger than the standard site of definition of the Cahiers topos, but still consist of only étale-contractible loci.

What is currently missing is a good practical motivation to invest energy into such a search. The Cahiers topos seems to be great in practice.

(Although recently I came to think that there is another sensible topology on it that I should consider.)

• CommentRowNumber4.

Is it obvious that the other sites are not locally contractible? I haven’t been following the algebraic geometry discussions, but my intuition is that algebraic-geometry objects are much more topologically “rigid” than smooth ones.

• CommentRowNumber5.

Thanks, Urs. This is helpful to hear. Now that you mention the other threads, that does ring a bell.

we need a site of definition that consists of objects which are contractible

Is it in fact a logically necessary condition?

What is currently missing is a good practical motivation to invest energy into such a search.

Well, my question just sort of occurred to me so I thought I’d ask. But let’s agree that what motivates people can be very subjective and personal. Obviously you shouldn’t bother about it yourself if you’re not motivated!

• CommentRowNumber6.

My understanding is that it’s not logically necessary, but that it’s currently the only way we know of to produce cohesive (,1)(\infty,1)-toposes.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2012
    • (edited Oct 6th 2012)

Right, there is no theorem yet that a site of locally contractibles is strictly necessary. But let’s look at what we know to see how much wiggle room there is:

1. The argument that in a locally connected topos every object is the coproduct of connected ones generalizes to locally \infty-connected toposes as follows: every object XX is an \infty-colimit of objects whose induced map into Π(X)\Pi(X) is null-homotopic. So at least rouhgly this says that “Every object is covered by contractibles”. I used to bang my head against this triying to deduce something more explicit, but still haven’t.

2. How different can Π\Pi be from lim\underset{\to}{\lim}?

The way that the existing models work is that Const:GrpdPSh (C)Const : \infty Grpd \to PSh_\infty(C) does factor (as DiscDisc) through Sh (C)PSh (C)Sh_\infty(C) \hookrightarrow PSh_\infty(C) so that then the left adjoint lim\underset{\to}{\lim} of Const:GrpdPSh (C)Const : \infty Grpd \to PSh_\infty(C) restricts to the left adjoint Π\Pi for DiscDisc.

But for a constant \infty-presheaf to satisfy descent over a representable, it must be true that first forming the Cech nerve of a covering family and then further refining that by a simplicial object which is degreewise a coproduct of representables has the property that it becomes a contractible simplicial set once all these representables are identitfied with points. So it means that every object of the site must be étale-contractible.

As I said, this is assuming that Π=lim\Pi = \underset{\to}{\lim}. Are there other possibilities for Π\Pi? We need that Disc=Sheafify| ConstConstDisc = Sheafify|_{Const} \circ Const has a left adjoint. So Sheafify| ConstSheafify|_{Const} needs a left adjoint.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2012

Thank you very much, Urs – very helpful analysis.