Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2012
    • (edited Oct 15th 2012)

I came to think that the pattern of interrelations of notions in the context of locally presentable categories deserves to be drawn out explicitly. So I started:

Currently it contains the following table, to be further fine-tuned. Comments are welcome.

| | | inclusion of left exaxt localizations | generated under colimits from small objects | | localization of free cocompletion | | generated under filtered colimits from small objects | |–|–|–|–|–|—-|–|–| | (0,1)-category theory | (0,1)-toposes | \hookrightarrow | algebraic lattices | \simeq Porst’s theorem | subobject lattices in accessible reflective subcategories of presheaf categories | | | | category theory | toposes | \hookrightarrow | locally presentable categories | \simeq Adámek-Rosický’s theorem | accessible reflective subcategories of presheaf categories | \hookrightarrow | accessible categories | | model category theory | model toposes | \hookrightarrow | combinatorial model categories | \simeq Dugger’s theorem | left Bousfield localization of global model structures on simplicial presheaves | | | | (∞,1)-topos theory | (∞,1)-toposes |\hookrightarrow | locally presentable (∞,1)-categories | \simeq <br/> Simpson’s theorem | accessible reflective sub-(∞,1)-categories of (∞,1)-presheaf (∞,1)-categories | \hookrightarrow |accessible (∞,1)-categories |

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2012

You are writing ’topos’ throughout to mean Grothendieck topos.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Yes.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • (edited Oct 17th 2012)

Well, at least the link to ‘topos’ should go to Grothendieck topos, so I have made it do so. And perhaps locale or frame would be a better target for ‘(0,1)(0,1)-topos’?

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Oct 17th 2012)

Sure, I have made “(0,1)-topos” point to locale.

On a more substantial note: has anyone thought about how to bring the part in the table where it says “Porst’s theorem” more in-line with the rest? In the entry to the right of where it says “Porst’s theorem” it it should really read “accessible reflective sublattices of (0,1)-presheaf (0,1)-categories”. Would this be true?

Possibly this is obvious. I haven’t really thought about it yet and can’t do right now. But if somebody has, I’d enjoy hearing it.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2017

Another problem with this table as currently written (which for some reason no longer renders in comment #1, but looks fine at the nLab page locally presentable categories - table) is that algebraic lattices correspond to locally finitely presentable categories, not arbitrary locally presentable categories. I would argue that the posetal analogue of an arbitrary locally presentable category is simply a suplattice. (In particular, not every frame is an algebraic lattice, whereas every topos is a locally presentable category.) If we want to include algebraic lattices in the table, then there should be a column for the locally finitely presentable case of the other rows (but that might make the table too wide).

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Feb 16th 2017)

Thanks for the alert. I would be happy to add a column saying “generated under finite colimits from finite objects” and then to move the entry “algebraic lattices” to that column. If the entry gets too wide, I think the software automatically produces a scrollbar environment.

But how to organize it? If we insert that new column to the left of the existing “generated under colimits” then the compatibility with the “inclusion of left exact localizations breaks.

Any suggestion for how to handle this? Maybe we should make a second copy of the whole table, now for finite generation.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Well, I have a lot of trouble reading the table as-is anyway. I don’t know why, but the top header row doesn’t have column-separator lines, which means that the third and fourth cells run together and for a long time I was reading it as “inclusion of left generated under exact colimits from localizations small objects”, which is just close enough to meaningful to give me a headache trying to figure it out. (-:

Also, I think the headings “generated under colimits from small objects” and “generated under filtered colimits from small objects” are misleading, because the second sounds like a stronger condition than the first (since a filtered colimit is, in particular, a limit) whereas in fact being accessible is weaker than being locally presentable. Moreover, the generation in a locally presentable category is under filtered colimits.

I tried rearranging the table some by moving large blocks of text out of it (which I think don’t look good in tables) into the header above, adding a column for the locally finitely presentable case.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Much better! Thanks.