Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2012
    • (edited Oct 15th 2012)

I was looking for a place to record a somewhat more global overview of the notion of locally presentable category, its related notions and its generalizations to higher category theory. But somehow all of the existing entries feel too narrow in focus to accomodate this. So I ended up creating now a new entry titled

Think of this as accomodating material such as one might present in a seminar talk that is meant to bring people with some basic background up to speed with the relevant notions, without going into the wealth of technical lemmas.

I only just started. Will continue in a moment after a short break…

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin

Good idea! It might be worth explaining why we use filtered colimits rather than arbitrary ones. It seems to me that the idea is that if one has a compact object, then its image under any morphism should be “small” in the sense that any “cover” of it can be reduced to a finite one. So, if we enlarge the “covering system” so that it is closed under finite “unions”, then we get a filtered system, and the object is compact precisely when every morphism factors through a single object in the “covering system”, and this factorisation is unique modulo a certain equivalence relation which amounts to saying that homs out of a compact object preserve filtered colimits.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Oct 15th 2012)

Thanks. That’s a good point. Actually, the relation between “compact” as in “compact topological space” as well as “compact topos” on the one hand and in “compact object in a category” on the other is somewhat subtle. The thing is that the former two are really conditions to commute with filtered colimits of truncated objects/truncated morphisms.

I have once made some notes on this in section 3.3.3 here.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2012
    • (edited Oct 16th 2012)

I have edited a bit more at locally presentable categories - introduction. Mostly I tried to fill in data in the second and third main sections, but for the moment it remains skeletal.

I have to quit now. Will come back to this in a few hours. Would be happy about whatever comments or even edits you’d have meanwhile.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2012

I have edited a bit more. I think now essentially all the material is there that should go there. But some more glue should still be added.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2014

There’s a table in the ’summary and overview’ section which I don’t know how to fix.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Sorry, could you point directly to what you are looking at? The table which I do see is not broken, but likely I am not looking at the table which you have in mind. Sorry.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

Is it just my browser? The table here doesn’t display properly for me.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2014

Fixed. There were some spurious line breaks.

Also, I changed to section link to something more likely to be permanent.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2018

Replaced characters ’ř’ that had turned into ’?’ in links to the pages Jiří Adámek and Jiří Rosický

diff, v16, current

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorJoe Moeller
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2019

fixed a small typo

diff, v17, current

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorJoe Moeller
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2019

There were some ?s. The first I changed to infinity and the rest to alephs. The ?s are new to me, so I hope I didn’t misunderstand their purpose.

diff, v17, current

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2019

This sort of ? is a relic of an old mistaken database edit that clobbered some unicode symbols, and should be fixed wherever they appear. Thanks!