Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2012
    • (edited Oct 16th 2012)

at variational calculus I have started a section In terms of smooth spaces where I discuss a bit how for

S:[Σ,X] Σ S \colon [\Sigma, X]_{\partial \Sigma} \to \mathbb{R}

a smooth “functional”, namely a smooth map of smooth spaces, its “functional derivative” is simply the plain de Rham differential of smooth functions on smooth spaces

dS:[Σ,X] ΣSdΩ 1. \mathbf{d}S \colon [\Sigma, X]_{\partial \Sigma} \stackrel{S}{\to} \mathbb{R} \stackrel{\mathbf{d}}{\to} \Omega^1 \,.

The notation can still be optimized. But I am running out of energy now. Has been a long day.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2012
    • (edited Oct 17th 2012)

I made explicit at variational calculus the “mapping space with non-varying boundary configurations”, on which the variational caclulus is defined, as the pullback

[Σ,X] Σ [Σ,X] [Σ,X] ()| Σ [Σ,X], \array{ [\Sigma,X]_{\partial \Sigma} &\to& \flat [\partial \Sigma, X] \\ \downarrow && \downarrow \\ [\Sigma,X] &\stackrel{(-)|_{\partial \Sigma}}{\to}& [\partial \Sigma,X] } \,,
    • CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2012
    • (edited Oct 17th 2012)

Hm, I haven’t thought about this enough. This means for instance that for every GG-principal bundle on the boundary configuration whose pullback to the bulk configuration space is equipped with a trivialization, there is a canonical flat 𝔤\mathfrak{g}-valued differential form

ω:[Σ,X] Σ dRBG \omega \colon [\Sigma, X]_{\partial \Sigma} \to \flat_{dR}\mathbf{B}G

on the “configuration space with non-varying boundary configurations”, induced from the commuting diagram

[Σ,X] c BG [Σ,X] c BG [Σ,X] * \array{ \flat [\partial \Sigma, X] &\stackrel{\flat \mathbf{c}}{\to}& \flat \mathbf{B}G \\ \downarrow && \downarrow \\ [\partial \Sigma,X] &\stackrel{\mathbf{c}}{\to}& \mathbf{B}G \\ \uparrow && \uparrow \\ [\Sigma, X] &\to& * }

under the equivalence Ω flat 1(,𝔤) dRBG*× BGBG\Omega^1_{flat}(-,\mathfrak{g}) \simeq \flat_{dR}\mathbf{B}G \coloneqq * \times_{\mathbf{B}G} \flat \mathbf{B}G.

Hmm…