Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2012

Can I check my working with someone who knows their cartesian closed categories better than I do (that’s just about everyone, then)?

Let CC be a cartesian closed category. I read on cartesian closed category that for an object dCd \in C the functor ×d- \times d commutes with colimits. I’m pretty sure I understand this. So if I have a coequaliser diagram abca \rightrightarrows b \to c then a×db×dc×da \times d \rightrightarrows b \times d \to c \times d is also a coequaliser diagram.

My context is (what else) generalised smooth spaces. I’m assuming that I’m working in a cartesian closed category. I’m also assuming that I have discrete (and indiscrete, but I don’t think that matters here) smooth structures on a set (by inference from the name you can assume these to be left and right adjoint to the forgetful functor to SetSet - for the moment I’m working with set-based theories). So I define the kinematic tangent space as the quotient of C (,X)C^\infty(\mathbb{R},X) by the relation αβ\alpha \simeq \beta if α(0)=β(0)\alpha(0) = \beta(0) and for all smooth f:Xf \colon X \to \mathbb{R} then (fα)(0)=(fβ)(0)(f \circ \alpha)'(0) = (f \circ \beta)'(0).

Now’s the first check-I-understand bit. I’ve been thinking of this as like a quotient in SetSet. But I guess I really ought to think of it as follows. Let WW be the set of pairs (α,β)C (,X)(\alpha,\beta) \in C^\infty(\mathbb{R},X) satisfying the equivalence relation (so α(0)=β(0)\alpha(0) = \beta(0) and (fα)(0)=(fβ)(0)(f\circ\alpha)'(0) = (f \circ\beta)'(0) for all ff). Put the discrete smooth structure on this set (so it’s a disjoint union of points) and define two maps WC (,X)W \to C^\infty(\mathbb{R},X) to be the obvious maps. Then TXT X is the coequaliser of WC (,X)W \rightrightarrows C^\infty(\mathbb{R},X).

First question: any smooth structure on WW such that the two maps were smooth would be fine here. Is that right? The use of the discrete one is simply that we know it will work.

Thus TXT X is a coequaliser. So as I’m in a cartesian closed category, the quotienting C (,X)TXC^\infty(\mathbb{R},X) \to T X commutes with products. In particular, if I took two spaces XX and YY then C (,X×Y)TX×TYC^\infty(\mathbb{R}, X \times Y) \to T X \times T Y is a quotient map as it factors as:

C (,X×Y)C (,X)×C (,Y)C (,X)×TYTX×TY C^\infty(\mathbb{R}, X \times Y) \cong C^\infty(\mathbb{R},X) \times C^\infty(\mathbb{R},Y) \to C^\infty(\mathbb{R},X) \times T Y \to T X \times T Y

and each one is a coequaliser map.

At this stage I’m not sure if this is enough to conclude that T(X×Y)TX×TYT(X \times Y) \cong T X \times T Y.

If not, though, I can show (from a little more careful examination) that the underlying set map of the natural map T(X×Y)TX×TYT (X \times Y) \to T X \times T Y is a bijection, whereupon as both are quotients of the same space (and the natural map respects these quotient structures) the natural map must be an isomorphism. This is because my assumptions on the category (I think!) mean that quotients in it are formed by taking the set quotient and then imposing the finest smooth structure on it (this is a consequence of the existence of the indiscrete smooth structure, I believe). So since both have the same underlying set and the same quotient mapping they must have the same smooth structure.

So … how’s my understanding? What have I missed?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

any smooth structure on WW such that the two maps were smooth would be fine here.

Well, any such smooth structure will suffice to let you form such a coequalizer, but at least a priori, different smooth structures might result in different coequalizers. However, if your category of smooth spaces has the property that any smooth function which is surjective on underlying sets is an epimorphism (such as when that the underlying-set functor is faithful), then you should get the same coequalizer whatever smooth structure you choose. Is that what you meant by “fine”?

As for the rest of it, it might depend on what you mean by “quotient”. Do you mean “coequalizer”? One potential issue is that it’s not a priori true that the composite of coequalizers is a coequalizer. Perhaps you mean final lift? Is your category of smooth spaces a topological concrete category?

• CommentRowNumber3.

Thanks! So it looks like I’m missing some assumptions.

such as when that the underlying-set functor is faithful

I’m happy assuming this.

Is your category of smooth spaces a topological concrete category?

and this.

Will that make it all work?

• CommentRowNumber4.

As for the rest of it, it might depend on what you mean by “quotient”.

I suspect that I didn’t really have a clear picture in my head of what I did mean by “quotient”. So let me see if I can come up with something that is rigorous. What I have in mind is that the kinematic tangent space is formed by “quotienting” the path space by some equivalence relation. So I want to take the set of equivalence classes of curves α\alpha where I set two to be the same if they satisfy the relation I said earlier and I want C (,X)TXC^\infty(\mathbb{R},X) \to T X to be a “quotient map”.

So let’s define TXT X as the coequaliser of WC (,X)W \rightrightarrows C^\infty(\mathbb{R},X) as I described above. And my category is as nice as they come: topological concrete category. Certainly when I said “indiscrete” and “discrete” functors then I was thinking by analogy of indiscrete and discrete topologies.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2012

Okay, so in a topological concrete category, colimits are formed by making colimits in Set and equipping them with the final structure. So if “quotient map” means “final lift” then your coequalizer will be the set-coequalizer with the specified map being a quotient. And as you say, since products preserve coequalizers, they will preserve these quotient maps, and such quotient maps will be stable under composition. And then I think the rest of your argument should go through.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2012

Yippee! Thanks for helping.