Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorjcmckeown
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2012

A stub Massey product and a longer Toda bracket (still plenty gaps of reference, many many unlinked words). No promises w.r.t. spellings.

I now see I’ve missed the convention for capitalization. Will fix that now… done.

Cheers

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2012
    • (edited Nov 8th 2012)

Thanks!!

I did some editing, as usual: added hyperlinks, a table of contents, a Referemces-section, pointers to the References, etc.

Notice that top-level sections need two hash-signs to appear in the TOC correctly:

## Idea

## Definition

### General

### Some special case

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorjcmckeown
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2012

CoThanks, too. also, the definition now makes sense.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorjcmckeown

OK, maybe I’ll take this next question to MO, but:

the Toda Bracket should directly give something like the Massey Product, because if you have a bunch of maps u i:XK i u_i : X \to K_i where the K iK_i are suitable Eilenberg-Mac Lane spaces, one has a sequence of maps of pointed-function spaces

K 1 X(K 1K 2) X(K 1K n+2) X K_1^X \to (K_1 \otimes K_2)^X \cdots \to (K_1\otimes \cdots K_{n+2})^X

representing the particular cup products u i\bullet\smallsmile u_i, as well as a map

𝕊 0K 1 X \mathbb{S}^0 \to K_1^X

adjoint to u 1u_1. Then the bracket machinery highlights a family of maps

𝕊 n(K 1K n+2) X \mathbb{S}^{n} \to (K_1 \otimes \cdots K_{n+2})^X

adjoint to

Σ nXK 1K n+2. \Sigma^n X \to K_1 \otimes \cdots \otimes K_{n+2} .

It seems intuitive to me (don’t ask why) that the construction of Massey products should at least give a subset of these Toda brackets, but I don’t feel so clear about the vice-versa. Does anyone know if this is at least spelled-out somewhere? (McCleary’s book on SpSeqs, e.g., is perfectly vague about these brackets, at least in a neighborhood of index entries.)

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Nov 9th 2012)

Added references

• Hans-Joachim Baues, On the cohomology of categories, universal Toda brackets and homotopy pairs, K-Theory 11:3, April 1997, pp. 259-285 (27) springerlink
    • Boryana Dimitrova, Universal Toda brackets of commutative ring spectra, poster, Bonn 2010, pdf
    • C. Roitzheim, S. Whitehouse, Uniqueness of A A_\infty-structures and Hochschild cohomology, arxiv/0909.3222
    • Steffen Sagave, Universal Toda brackets of ring spectra, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc., 360(5):2767-2808, 2008, math.KT/0611808