Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorbwebster
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2009

What does that mean, and why does it happen whenever I submit the page I'm working on? (the page is categorification via groupoid schemes, which I was trying to finish before posting it).

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorbwebster
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2009

Ah, I was missing a `$$'. False alarm.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2009

That's nothing. Back in the early days I managed to bring the whole structure to a shuddering halt by missing out a closing brace!

I have to admit that I would like to see error messages about formatting on the screen rather than buried in the logs on the server.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2010

recently revised now sends:

Internal Error An application error occurred while processing your request.

• CommentRowNumber5.

Thanks for reporting this. This is due to the ruby1.8->ruby1.9 update. I've emailed Jacques about the problem. He's very experienced at fixing these now so shouldn't take him long!

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Jan 5th 2010)

sorry the same discussion

• CommentRowNumber7.

Not sure what you're sorry for. I wasn't aware of this one so it's great that you brought it to my attention.

• CommentRowNumber8.

Okay, looks like this won't get fixed tonight, now. Hope that this isn't too inconvenient for anyone.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2010

This seems to be fixed now, but the 'list' calls are now bust.

(Further details on the 'Ruby update' thread.)

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorFosco
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2013

The same message appears to me when I try to edit this page… What’s up?

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Fosco, I don’t see an Internal Error message there; I see Domenico Fiorenza’s password-protected login page.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Fosco, if you want to edit the nLab page about categorical limits, go to limit.

But if you do edit, don’t forget to tell us here what you did!

• CommentRowNumber13.

Fosco, I didn’t get any error. Can you be a bit more precise about what you want to do? I just edited that page (incidentally to answer your technical query there).

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Andrew, you edited which page?

• CommentRowNumber15.

Urs, the page in question is a page on Domenico’s web. According to Domenico, Fosco is a graduate student that Domenico has given permission to to edit that web. So only someone with Domenico’s password can test this potential problem. Fortunately, as someone with server access, that includes me. So I’ve tested and can’t reproduce the problem.

I suspect, based on experience, that Fosco was trying to save the page with a high-value unicode character in some mathematics. Instiki generally doesn’t like this (or rather, itex2MML doesn’t).

Fosco, it might help if you added a little to your nlab page Fosco. Just linking to an external website isn’t a great introduction (that’s often a trait of spammers as well). Actually, I think it would be better if you used Fosco Loregian and blanked Fosco.

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Ah, thanks, that’s a necessary bit of information which the rest of us was lacking.

• CommentRowNumber17.

Yes, I was lacking it as well, but then I emailed Domenico to ask if someone was editing his web without permission.

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorFosco

I was editing a page or two as an excuse to learn the fundamental techniques to post, edit, manage with iTeX, etc. I discovered that there is a “sandbox” only today :) nlab is really huge.

About the “Internal error” problem: Indeed, I waited ten minutes, logged out and in, and the problem did not appear again.

About me: thank you for your welcome, I will provide personal information ASAP and blank one of the two pages… I probably messed things up in creating two pages (I created the first when I modified for the first time an nlab page this summer): feel free to remove the newest if you want, or tell me how can I do it by myself.

I suspect, based on experience, that Fosco was trying to save the page with a high-value unicode character in some mathematics. Instiki generally doesn’t like this (or rather, itex2MML doesn’t).

Can you be more precise (maybe with an example of a character that makes iTeX complain)? I don’t want the problem to appear again!

Finally, unfortunately for Domenico, I’m currently one of his students. :)

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorFosco

Andrew: for a moment I hoped you answered to the other more mathematical query. I’ll remove the first one (comments in Markdown) as it is totally misplaced. Thank you again!

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

I put Fosco Loregian's pages on a sound footing in the main Lab, and also listed you at Contributors (which is woefully out of date). But I second the call for a bit more introduction. (I also thought that you might be a spammer when I first saw Fosco, before seeing this thread.) Perhaps a condensed version of what's on your web page, with a link to the web page for more?

Although right now, I'm not getting any response from the Lab!

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I have restarted the server.

• CommentRowNumber22.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2013

Ah, so you are http://mathoverflow.net/users/7952/tetrapharmakon, Fosco. Coincidentally, I wrote the mathematics in the photo at the bottom of your web page :-)

• CommentRowNumber23.
    • CommentAuthorFosco
    • (edited Oct 29th 2013)

I second the call for a bit more introduction. […]Perhaps a condensed version of what’s on your web page, with a link to the web page for more?

Honestly I don’t think I can find anything worth to be mentioned here. I feel kind of a child playing in the sand and talking with an architect :) But there’s no problem.

I also thought that you might be a spammer when I first saw Fosco, before seeing this thread.

As I maybe explained before, I totally forgot I had created another page on may; how can I delete the new one, that with only the name? I am sorry! I created that second because you know, I always feel uncomfortable to publish my full real name on the web. Even my “professional” own web page does not contain it in its home. But nnlab is made for serious business, so nevermind! :)

Ah, so you are http://mathoverflow.net/users/7952/tetrapharmakon, Fosco.

Indeed I am! :) how do you remember about me?

(Please tell me if this discussion is running OT!)

• CommentRowNumber24.
    • CommentAuthorFosco
    • (edited Oct 29th 2013)

Coincidentally, I wrote the mathematics in the photo at the bottom of your web page :-)

If you refer to the quotation “If we didn’t have category theory…”, well, when I tried to google it out, I could only find an AMA thread on reddit… So I decided to keep it anonymous. But if you are the author, please let me acknowledge you!

• CommentRowNumber25.

I always feel uncomfortable to publish my full real name on the web.

We usually use the full name of mathematicians with articles, and you are a mathematician with an article. If you edit Fosco Loregian, then you will find the option to rename it. Don't worry about the duplicate; I already put it away.

• CommentRowNumber26.
    • CommentAuthorFosco
    • (edited Oct 29th 2013)

We usually use the full name of mathematicians with articles

Maybe I misunderstood what you mean, but “[…] on the planet of Tlon, the concept of plagiarism does not make sense at all: it has been established that all works are the creation of one author, who is atemporal and anonymous.” But in the end you’re right.

you are a mathematician with an article.

In fact, this is not true! :) my first “true” publication is yet to come…

• CommentRowNumber27.

Strangely, I feel much more disposed to conversing with Fosco Loregian, especially with the knowledge that he is a PhD student of Domenico Fiorenza, than I do with tetrapharmakon (or whatever the case may be)! And may I say, “welcome to the nForum!”

• CommentRowNumber28.
    • CommentAuthorFosco
    • (edited Oct 29th 2013)

Strangely, I feel much more disposed to conversing with Fosco Loregian […], than I do with tetrapharmakon

What do you mean by that? :( Do I seem such a bad guy on MO?

• CommentRowNumber29.

By

you are a mathematician with an article

I mean that there is an article on you in the nLab (and you are a mathematician).

• CommentRowNumber30.

Fosco, no! tetrapharmakon seems pleasant enough on MO, but it’s even nicer for me to have a real name attached, knowing that here is a categories-minded guy that we’ll probably be interacting with in years to come! :-) I think posting under a real name carries a lot of advantages (full disclosure: I operate semi-anonymously at MSE, just to get a feeling for what that’s like).

• CommentRowNumber31.
    • CommentAuthorFosco

What can I say? I didn’t expect such a wonderful welcome :)

Now I’ll show my hubris: I would like to exploit the hype generated by my arrival to point your attention to the thread I opened today; I think that I passed the critical mass to create a MO question, but in fact it’s not a real question: I simply would like to know if this simple idea fits into some “interuniversal” (no pun intended!) machinery…

• CommentRowNumber32.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

The handle tetrapharmakon is memorable on its own, I can’t remember any specific interactions on MO, though. And I didn’t mean the quotation, I meant the maths on the blackboard in the image http://people.sissa.it/~floregi/Corbis-CRBR232467.jpg (I’ve done a bit of work for that photographer, it pops up now and again around the web).

• CommentRowNumber33.
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2013

I do remember this interaction where I never heard back from tetrapharmakon. But perhaps it’s not so important.

• CommentRowNumber34.
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2013

Whereas I know tetrapharmakon from TeX-SX and in particular this question which led to the TikZ TQFT package.