Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2013

It seems that there is a general sense in which π 0\pi_0 preserves finite products, whether π 0\pi_0 is acting on topological spaces or simplicial sets or categories or groupoids. I believe taking the skeleton of a category or a preorder also preserves finite products. Is there a common reason for all this?

Tangentially related, does HoHo preserve finite products, considered as a functor from relative categories (in the sense of Barwick and Kan [2012]) to categories? If it did then we would have a quintuple adjoint string Hominundmaxweq:RelCatCatHo \dashv min \dashv und \dashv max \dashv weq : \mathbf{RelCat} \to \mathbf{Cat} with the leftmost adjoint preserving finite products – and so we would have something that looks very much like a cohesion structure.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • (edited Feb 22nd 2013)

Let’s see: π 0\pi_0 for spaces is a reflexive coequalizer, starting with an obvious coreflexive pair involving the interval II:

Top(I,X)Top(1,X)π 0(X)Top(I, X) \stackrel{\to}{\to} Top(1, X) \to \pi_0(X)

and of course reflexive coequalizers commute with finite limits. Suppose we replace the interval category 2\mathbf{2} with the codiscrete groupoid K(2)K(2) on two objects? It seems to me the corresponding reflexive coequalizer of

C K(2)C 1C^{K(2)} \stackrel{\to}{\to} C^1

should be the skeleton of CC. (I’d never thought of it this way, though.)

Edit: possibly not. I just woke up.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin

Taking the coequaliser of C K(2)C 1C^{K(2)} \rightrightarrows C^1 kills all the automorphisms, though. But this certainly explains why taking the set of isomorphism classes in a category preserves products. Thanks!

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorKarol Szumiło

The functor Ho:RelCatCatHo : \mathbf{RelCat} \to \mathbf{Cat} does preserve finite products. This is an exercise in adjointness using the fact that both RelCat\mathbf{RelCat} and Cat\mathbf{Cat} are cartesian closed.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Yeah, that was what I was worried about. But it works for preorders.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin
    • (edited Feb 22nd 2013)

@Karol: I’m afraid I don’t follow. I can see that minmin is a cartesian closed functor, which shows that HoHo satisfies various Frobenius reciprocity conditions, e.g.

und([Y,minZ] rel)[HoY,Z]und ([Y, min Z]_{rel}) \cong [Ho Y, Z] X×HoYHo(minX×Y)X \times Ho Y \cong Ho (min X \times Y)

and also that Ho11\operatorname{Ho} 1 \cong 1, but don’t we need to know a little bit more before we can conclude that HoHo preserves binary products?

Postscript. Ah, I see now. We need to use the fact that [Y,minZ] relmin([HoY,Z])[Y, min Z]_{rel} \cong min([Ho Y, Z]) as relative categories. What’s the abstract nonsense way of saying this?

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorKarol Szumiło

I’m not sure I follow your arguments and I’m also not sure I understand your notation. Is minmin supposed to stand for “minimal relative structure”? If so then HoHo is not a left adjoint of minmin. Minimal relative structure has just identities as weak equivalences and HoHo is a left adjoint of a functor isoiso that sends a category to a relative category with isomorphisms as weak equivalences.

Now, the exercise in adjointness I had in mind is the following. Fix a relative category AA and consider a square

RelCat ×A RelCat Ho Ho Cat ×HoA Cat \array{ \mathbf{RelCat} & \stackrel{- \times A}{\to} & \mathbf{RelCat} \\ \downarrow^{Ho} & & \downarrow^{Ho} \\ \mathbf{Cat} & \stackrel{- \times Ho A}{\to} & \mathbf{Cat} \\ }

which can be filled with a natural transformation coming from the universal property of products. We want to show that it is an isomorphism. Since all the functors here are left adjoints it will suffice to verify that the corresponding transformation filling the square of their right adjoints is an isomorphism and this follows by a direct inspection.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin

I’m not sure I follow your arguments and I’m also not sure I understand your notation. Is min supposed to stand for “minimal relative structure”? If so then Ho is not a left adjoint of min. Minimal relative structure has just identities as weak equivalences and Ho is a left adjoint of a functor iso that sends a category to a relative category with isomorphisms as weak equivalences.

Ah, right, yes. I was assuming that every isomorphism is automatically a weak equivalence. Perhaps I was secretly thinking of homotopical categories rather than relative categories.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2013
    • (edited Mar 20th 2013)

After some further thought, there is actually just one reason why the leftmost adjoints in all of these strings of adjoints preserves finite products:

π 0discobcodisc:SetGrpd\pi_0 \dashv disc \dashv ob \dashv codisc : \mathbf{Set} \to \mathbf{Grpd} Iundiso:GrpdCat\mathbf{I} \dashv und \dashv iso : \mathbf{Grpd} \to \mathbf{Cat} τ 1N:CatSSet\tau_1 \dashv N : \mathbf{Cat} \to \mathbf{SSet} π 1N:GrpdSSet\pi_1 \dashv N : \mathbf{Grpd} \to \mathbf{SSet} π 0disc() 0cosk 0:SetSSet\pi_0 \dashv disc \dashv (-)_0 \dashv cosk_0 : \mathbf{Set} \to \mathbf{SSet} Homin +:CatRelCatHo \dashv min^+ : \mathbf{Cat} \to \mathbf{RelCat}

Namely, because each one is the reflector of an exponential ideal. Admittedly, it seems to be easier to prove directly that τ 1:SSetCat\tau_1 : \mathbf{SSet} \to \mathbf{Cat} preserves finite products, but everything else follows by nonsense. This also explains why skel=π 0iso:CatSetskel = \pi_0 iso : \mathbf{Cat} \to \mathbf{Set} preserves finite products.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2013

Nice!