Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2013

I made a start on regular representation (via a stub from normalizer). My first thought was to made this a generic regular representation page so I put in definitions for groups and algebras.

Once I’d created the page I thought that it could be said to be an example of a more general thing whereby a monoid acts on itself. However, someone’s already editing the page (that was fast!) so I’ll have to wait to put that in.

(Unless the anonymous coward reads this and decides to put it in themselves!)

• CommentRowNumber2.

Also started faithful representation. I notice that this is linked from C-star-algebra which means that it probably needs a bit extra to make it relevant to that page.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

Either the anonymous coward quit, or they just ran out of time.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Mar 11th 2013)

However, someone’s already editing the page (that was fast!) so I’ll have to wait to put that in.

(Unless the anonymous coward reads this and decides to put it in themselves!)

I have that a lot, might have mentioned it before. After the first few years of waiting for the anonymous coward to stop editing the pages that I was just editing, I decided that there was in fact no such anonymous coward editing, and I kept cancelling the edit block and just went ahead. Nobody ever complained, nor did I ever see any anonymous edits in this context. Therefore I believe that this is a software artefact. I think we talked about this before, but I don’t remember where.

(Maybe some of the search engines in their crawling the nLab also try to crawl whatever they suspect lies behind the “edit”-links? That might explain lots of superficial anonymous cowards blocking entries but never editing them.)

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin

We could discourage search engines from doing that by adding some lines to robots.txt.

• CommentRowNumber6.

@Zhen Lin: I was about to say “That’s already in robots.txt” but thought I’d better check before asserting it, and to my surprise discovered that edit and new are not in the robots.txt file. They are now.

(For those who don’t know, robots.txt is a file that contains a list of links that robots - search engines and the like - are not supposed to follow. But it is a purely voluntary method in that it is up to the robot to decide to obey it or not. Hence Zhen Lin’s choice of wording: “discourage”.)

• CommentRowNumber7.

Looking at the logs, it would appear that the confusion might be at my end. There were only three IP addresses that tried to edit that page. One is Toby’s, and the other two both resolve to addresses handled by my ISP. So I suspect that my IP changed briefly in between editing the page and that then locked the page.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

So I suspect that my IP changed briefly in between editing the page and that then locked the page.

Ah, that might also explain why I experience this a lot…

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2013

But it should know from your cookie, Andrew, that it was you editing the page and not an anonymous coward. Furthermore, by comparing cookies, it should even be able to tell that it's still you and that no edit conflict is occurring. So this flaw could potentially be removed by redesigning this part of the software.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2014

Expanded the definition at regular representation to include on top of the regular permutation representation which was mentioned before also the regular linear representation induced by it.

Added the statement that this is equivalently the induced rep Ind 1 G1Ind_1^G 1

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2014

I corrected the link to algebra as that entry is about the subject of algebra, not about one of the many notions of algebraic structure called algebras, namely associative unital algebra.