Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2013
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

That page doesn’t exist, or there’s something funny going on.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh
    • CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

Thanks.

• CommentRowNumber5.

The link that I made worked for me and still works for me. (It is a redirect, because of formatting issues.)

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

The original link didn’t work for me when I first clicked on it, but does now. If the redirect was made in the meantime that would explain what happened.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • (edited Mar 21st 2013)

No, the redirect was made a day before my announcement.

• CommentRowNumber8.

I have added a little more to the Lakatos section.

• CommentRowNumber9.

Then it might have been that the latest update to instiki (which appears to have fixed the apostrophe problem) happened in between. Or it’s just one of those unexplained mysteries and we’ll have to call on Scooby-Doo to solve it.

Scooby-Doo and the Case of Cauchy’s Apostrophe

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh

Actually, the first link still doesn't work for me in Chrome, Firefox or Mobile Safari.

• CommentRowNumber11.

Oh, that’s odd. It works for me with Firefox on a Mac. Doesn’t work with Chrome on a Mac, then I get a page about creating Cauchy/'s mistake. Same for Safari on a Mac.

I’m verging on classing this as a WebKit bug. When I view the source in Safari then the link is clearly displayed as http://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/Cauchy\'s mistake. However, if I do “Copy Link” and paste the link somewhere then I get http://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/Cauchy/'s%20mistake. Note the forward slash! Firefox, on the other hand, seems to escape the slash when copying as I get http://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/Cauchy%5C%27s%20mistake when I copy the link from Firefox and that’s the correct backslash.

• CommentRowNumber12.

Hmm, a quick search shows that “ambiguous” is the right term for this. Forward and back slashes are sometimes considered equivalent as regards URLs.

• CommentRowNumber13.

I’ve added the redirect with the other slash so that the link works.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh

Nice, it works for me now.

• CommentRowNumber15.

Forward and back slashes are sometimes considered equivalent as regards URLs.

Does this mean that the proper thing for the Forum to do, when presented with a Lab link containing a slash, is to escape it?

• CommentRowNumber16.

Eeek. Now you’re claiming that it’s a forum bug. Darn. I thought I’d gotten away with blaming WebKit (and thus Not My Problem). I guess this would be the safest route.

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2013

Even if

Forward and back slashes are sometimes considered equivalent as regards URLs.

is technically allowed by the standards, it's still poor behaviour on WebKit's part. (But maybe it's useful for compatibility with something Microsoft.)