Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2013

I just moved generator>History to the more standardly named generator > history and also put its content into a more standard form, with a link to generator. The cache bug is here, but that's nothing new. This is: the link to generator shows up as unfilled. An unwary editor could even create a new generator page, overwriting the current one, without realising it! (Although given where they find the link, an experienced editor would know better.)

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2013

I’m afraid that the cache bug fooled you. The page generator was not created. All the log entries for that page over the relevant time period say:

Page `generator` not found

meaning that there was no page with that name in the database. However, there does appear to have been a redirect with that name and so there was a page in the cache and that’s what you were seeing. Looking further back in the logs, there appears to have been a page called generator created in April 2012. Maybe that became generator>History (there’s no record of page name changes) and the cache copy never got cleared. Anyway, however it happened, there is no record of anyone saving a page named generator until I just did it.

So I’m not sure what you actually did there, but what you think you did isn’t what the server thinks you did!

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2013

Did you just copy material from the history of generator > history to generator or what?

• CommentRowNumber4.

I see that we also have separator. I should have done more work untangling this.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

What I did was the following. I clicked on the generator link in your post. That took me to a page. Then I clicked on the generator > history link where I got the grey link to generator. Overcome by curiosity, I clicked on it and it took me to the new link. I felt sure it would complain or it would just add a revision to the list1. It didn’t. A new page was created. I then felt a bit stupid as I was sure I’d deleted all your work so tried to recover the original data from the database. It wasn’t there. That’s when I went searching in the logs and discovered that it had never been there. Since I still had the generator page in a tab, I figured I would recreate it by copying across what was at the previous revision of generator > history and making the necessary edits. But once I’d copied it over, I couldn’t find any differences (not that there might not have been any - it was getting late by this time).

So I don’t know what happened at your end. If you want me to look further in the logs, I can do so.

1. Partly irrelevant since I didn’t know this at the time, but I’ve just experimented on page one (doriath) and found that if you deliberately recreate an existing page then it just acts as if you edited it. The difference being that you are presented with a blank edit box. Whilst it would be better if new redirected to edit on existing pages, this does mean that recreated pages are recoverable by rollbacks so nothing is lost. 

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2013

It looks likely that generator was combined into separator sometime around the new year, and the cache bug simply lasted for a rather long time. I am now combining everything into separator.

• CommentRowNumber7.

Actually, the history is more complicated than that. On November 8, Urs wrote something brief at separator, then Tim combined generator into that four hours later, then Urs wrote over Tim's changes a couple hours more later. (I can only guess that Urs had the page open for editing for several hours, so that the 30-minute warning time warned neither Tim nor Urs.)

• CommentRowNumber8.

OK, separator now has all of the missing material. We have generator > history and generator > history II; generator should redirect to separator but gets the cache bug instead.