Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2013

Updates to zeta function.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2014

I have edited the Idea-section at zeta function to make it just a tad more substantial. It’s still a stub though. But I don’t have time for more now.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

and I have started to split off some entries

Dedekind zeta function, Goss zeta function, Weil zeta function, zeta function of a Riemann surface

(all mostly stubs, still)

Then I arranged them all a bit better (I hope) in the function field analogy – table

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

Is that Weil zeta function to be what Wikipedia has as Hasse-Weil zeta function? What should go in the table of all those zeta functions? The arithmetic one?

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Hasse-Weil is for number fields,no? The entry means the version for varieties over 𝔽 p\mathbb{F}_p that enters the Weil conjectures.

This naming after people is really bad, as one sees here. Somebody should have stopped Weil from having more than one idea. But I can’t help it.

(And also my battery dies now any second…)

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

Ah yes.

There are now two rows of zeta functions on the table which are separated. Presumably they’d be better placed adjacent.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jul 23rd 2014)

Right, so the idea of the table is that in the first half is the case of the affine/projective line and in the second half the case of its ramified covering curves.

For instance previously I had the Riemann zeta function and the Dedekind zeta function in the same box. But really the Dedekind zeta function is the generalization of the Riemann zeta function from Spec()Spec(\mathbb{Z}) to XSpec()X \to Spec(\mathbb{Z}), and so I thought it would be better to have the table exhibit this.

Maybe I should try to have a more pronounced horizontal rule in the middle where the table switches from the affine/projective line to its coverings? (Not sure how to do that though, but I might invent some hack.)

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2014

Earlier today I had given zeta function a considerably expanded Idea-section (effectively replacing the previous stubby Idea-section). It is explicitly anachronistic in that it presents the idea by going pretty much entirely opposite to the historical development of zeta functions. I believe this is the good way to actually explain the meaning of zeta functions.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

This is almost certainly going to be bewildering to people who do not speak the language of the Idea section.

The notion of zeta function is by now quite broad. But a good test case for the ideas of the Idea section might be the zeta function of a function field (with links to zeta functions for dynamical systems, etc.). I would prefer that the ideas of the Idea section be developed more at leisure, and somewhere further down the page, so that fewer people get lost immediately, and also to retain some sense of the history in the Idea section. This is just my personal opinion, of course.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Aug 29th 2014)

The zeta function of a function field, and of dynamical systems etc. are all mentioned further down. The idea was that it’s actually helpful not to start out with these arithmetic objects, because the actual meaning of zeta functions (beyond the collection of symbols that represents them on paper) is much clearer (or clear at all) for zeta functions of elliptic differential operators.

Of course if you say this doesn’t work for you, then something else must be done.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

This is all very interesting. I should probably consider more carefully how seriously my objection should be taken. But shooting from the hip: the exposition is highly condensed and concentrated (and in fact spread out over many nLab pages, which requires the ingenue to keep maybe twenty tabs open at once).

For what it’s worth: you’re right, it doesn’t quite work for me now. With some effort on my part that could change, but my current impression is that it would help immensely to develop this point of view in a more expository fashion, independently of the table. It’s obviously a great story to be told. Let me think further on how this criticism could be developed more constructively.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2014
    • (edited Sep 1st 2014)

I have put (in the Idea-section at zeta function) the mentioning of “Feynman propagators” in parenthesis, guessing that the appearance of this term is what caused part of the bewilderment. It’s however just a word for the analytic continuation of Tr(H s)Tr(H^{-s}), which is what the entry really starts with.

I don’t think reading that Idea-section in its present form requires reading a bunch of other entries, certainly that is not the intention. All it really means to do is to instead of throwing some series expression at the reader – which is the way its usually done, but which doesn’t really give any “Idea”, I’d think – start by saying that we are looking at what in differential geometry are simply analytic continuations of Tr(H s)Tr(H^{-s}) and that under the pertinent analogies the number-theoretic incarnations of zeta function may be thought of as being the arithmetic-geometry-incarnations of just this.

I don’t see any other way to really give an Idea (instead of just making the reader get used to) of what zeta-, theta-, eta-, and L-functions really are.