Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2013
    • (edited Apr 27th 2013)

I can’t edit the entry prequantum field theory anymore. Attempts to save changes result in the message

Internal Error

An application error occurred while processing your request.

I have tried this and that, but I can’t figure out what the problem is.

I played with removing bits and pieces of the paragraph that I was about to add next. And at some point the error appeared and then disappeared again. But now I have been getting it consistently for, I don’t know, half a wasted hour or more.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • (edited Apr 27th 2013)

Do you want anyone else to try to see if they get the same reaction? (I tried to edit a typo and got the same result.) The typo was on ‘preliminary’.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Apr 27th 2013)

Whatever you can do to help would be greatly appreciated.

• CommentRowNumber4.

Have you tried cutting out the second half of the entry etc to try to determine where the glitch is?

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2013
    • (edited Apr 28th 2013)

Urs: I tried cutting out the latest additions that you had made. There was a \ref{LocalPrequantumFieldWithAction} which was towards the end of the Higher DW theory section (This refers to def. 5). Deleting that I could make an edit of a typo and save accordingly. Have you got a command character hidden in that section as that might throw the system into a frenzy? I will fiddle away again. (I have used empty23 as a place to do this so as not to risk the original entry. I have renamed it Sandbox-PQFT. It still is fragile! I changed a comma and it gave internal error again. I am also getting other error messages occasionally.

Application error (Apache)

Something very bad just happened. I just know it. Do you smell smoke?)

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • (edited Apr 28th 2013)

I have managed to make minor edits at Sandbox-PQFT. I do not know what I changed. It was mostly by copying to a text editor and then repasting bit by bit.

What I did do, to the best of my knowledge was not to change the text, so, Urs, you could try out the next edit that you wanted to add first at that page and then rename, when you are sure that I have not changed anything. (I tried adding in some commas, and that worked.)

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

I can't even read prequantum field theory right now! I just get the smoke error.

• CommentRowNumber8.

I left it to go for a walk, and now it comes up without smoke, but still not able to be edited.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

It seems to come up fine for me, without error messages. Currently at 18 revisions, last revised by Urs on April 27. I pressed the edit button, and got inside the editor, but I didn’t make any edits.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2013
    • (edited Apr 29th 2013)

@Todd: Look for a comma to add, or a typo, correct it to see if the glitch has gone. I sometimes got internal error and sometime Apache smoke!

(Edit: I just tried again to edit a line near the bottom and I got Internal error again. The line I tried to edit was

here are or arose as

adding in commas to get: here are, or arose as, …

Can someone look back in the source to the latest of Urs’ edits and see if there is any character that is throwing the system into disarray. I do not have a texteditor that can see those characters readily available on my laptop.)

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Dear all,

thanks for the help! Really appreciated. I had to leave the computer alone over Sunday. Now I am back.

First thing this morning, opening the page, I get the smoke error that Toby also encountered. Immediately reloading it, though, it displays now. Then making a minor edit, it throws an error message again.

Have to see what I do now.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • (edited Apr 29th 2013)

@Urs: try out Sandbox-PQFT. It should be a working copy of your prequantum FT page, i.e.looks the same but it does not hit that buffers!!! Check it through and compare. My thought was that once you were satisfied, you could rename it or copy it across to your old page that stopped working.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Oh, right. Thanks for amplifying this. It seems I missed the point of that comment of your.

That’s great! Thanks. I guess I will use that now

So what did you change to make it work? Is it just what you mentioned in #5, that you remaoved one of the links

\ref{LocalPrequantumFieldWithAction}

?

On the one hand it would be nice if that identifies the problem. On the other hand it would be very strange, in particular since there is one precise such link left in the code and hence apparently doing no harm?!

I suspect that somewhere in the text is some key combination which confuses the parser. I agree that one could find it by systematic experimenting. I just don’t feel I can afford the time for that, in particular since each single step (loading, saving, error messegaes) takes so much time in itself.

• CommentRowNumber14.

That ref. was the only place I could detect a problem. (There is a ref later which does not yet point anywhere.) I copied the paragraph to my texteditor, then reinserted it bit by bit. Without it it worked fine and I could edit, but put it in and it blew up! I suspect you pressed some other key, as you said, which, for instance, gave a command character. Of course, that may not be at that point!!!!! I noted that my copy saved quickly whilst your original took a ‘month of Sundays’, so there should be some difference other than that. But be sure that the offending paragraph says what you want it to as, although I took care, I am not 100% that I got everything.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Okay, I see. Thanks, Tim. That’s most valuable. I owe you a beer or two for this effort! Thanks.

I have copied over your version now and it seems I can edit it… Let’s see what happens. Phew.

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I still don’t know what causes the error. I keep getting it and the smoke-error, but I now learned the following:

despite the error message returned upon saving, the content is nevertheless saved! If one just forces the page to show and keeps reloading until the smoke-error disappears (it appears and disappears without clear pattern and even if no changes are made to the entry in between) then the content is there.

• CommentRowNumber17.

That suggests that there is another problem. Have you looked at the other stuff you added just before you got the Internal error for the first time? I only attacked that first paragraph. I deleted it and everything worked fine. I added it and it failed!!! Doh! That seemed to imply that the error was in there, but there may have been another error further on.

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Apr 29th 2013)

I keep playing with it, but I cannot see a pattern. Instead, I seem to see indications that there must be a random element involved (at least an element not influenced by the content of the entry).

For instance a few minutes back by accident, due to the endless back-and-forth, I ended up having duplicated some paragraphs. But the entry was saved. Then when I removed the duplicate bit (copy-and-pasted material) to leave just one copy of it, I got the error message.

Well, “error message” is a big word for what we get to see. I suppose Andrew could get more information from the logs, where the actual error might be indicated.

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

Actually, the Internal error message does contain more information in the form of HTML comments. So if you do “View Source” in your browser you’ll see where the error is occurring.

However, I didn’t find that that helped me much when I tried it!

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

I’ve just fixed a couple of syntax errors in the main prequantum field theory and editing it now a couple of times afterwards doesn’t spark any errors.

If this has fixed it, the key one was probably fixing a wikilink for gauge group. The original read:

Regarded this way, we say the [gauge group acting on the single field $\phi_0$ forms a _[[groupoid]]_, whose single _[[object]]_ is $\phi_0$ and whose set of _[[morphisms]]_ is $G$. 

Notice the [gauge group acting .... The open bracket is not matched by a closing bracket. I changed this to [[gauge group]] as I guessed that that was what was meant.

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks a whole lot!!

I’d need an editor-environment that highlights bracketed expressions…

• CommentRowNumber22.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

Reading through prequantum field theory just now, I tried to fix some typos, but got the Internal error message.

• CommentRowNumber23.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Apr 29th 2013)

Thanks for fixing typos, David!

Please check: I bet your changes have been saved despite the error message. Just try to load the page again and see if the changes are there.

I also bet that I have more syntax errors in the code. It’s hard to find them without any indication where to look, though. But next time I get the error message I’ll try to follow Andrew’s advice from #19.

• CommentRowNumber24.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Apr 29th 2013)

Ah, no. I guess I lost my first bet. Otherwise David would be in the author list the page…

• CommentRowNumber25.

Seems to be working now. I’ll carry on.

• CommentRowNumber26.

Ok, did that, but not without a couple of ’Internal Error’s and some reloading.