Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2013

The page Cauchy space has a definition of ’Cauchy-continuous map’ between Cauchy spaces, and remarks that while every uniformly continuous map is Cauchy-continuous, the converse is not true. What are some examples of nonuniformly continuous but Cauchy-continuous maps? For instance, does it suffice to be locally uniformly continuous? Can the Cauchy-continuous maps between (say) metric spaces be characterized any more concretely?

I am wondering (in connection with the higher inductive-inductive Cauchy reals) to what extent the extension of the algebraic structure on the rational numbers to their Cauchy completion is a formal consequence of the universal property of completion. While addition is uniformly continuous, multiplication is not, so this requires knowing how completion behaves on some nonuniformly continuous maps.

• CommentRowNumber2.

Hmm, wikipedia suggests that maybe Cauchy-continuity coincides with local uniform continuity when the completion is locally compact?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • (edited May 16th 2013)

What are some examples of nonuniformly continuous but Cauchy-continuous maps?

for the benefit of others (you’ve probably seen it, Mike), there’s f:f\colon \mathbb{Q} \to \mathbb{R}, f(x)=a xf(x) = a^x for a>1a \gt 1 (from here).

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

for the benefit of others

This is extremely well-known. Even f:f: \mathbb{Q} \to \mathbb{Q}, f(x)=x 2f(x) = x^2 is not uniformly continuous.

(The rule of thumb is that for continuously differentiable functions ff, uniform continuity of ff is closely connected to uniform boundedness of ff'. Certainly uniform boundedness of ff' implies uniform continuity of ff, in fact Lipschitz continuity of ff. I’d have to think more on whether the converse is true, but the rule of thumb says don’t expect f(x)=x 2f(x) = x^2 to be uniformly continuous, because there is no uniform bound on f(x)=2xf'(x) = 2 x.)

Speaking of this example, though, with regard to the second paragraph of #1: notice that multiplication can be defined in terms of squaring and linear maps: xy=12((x+y) 2x 2y 2)x y = \frac1{2}((x+y)^2 - x^2 - y^2). So I think it would suffice just to observe that squaring is uniformly continuous on every bounded subset of \mathbb{Q}: that would be enough to show that squaring extends continuously to its Cauchy completion. (I’m not sure it’s worth the bother getting into issues of local compactness.)

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • (edited May 16th 2013)

Yeah, I guess when I asked for examples I wanted general classes of examples (like ’uniformly continuous on bounded subsets’), not random particular ones.

Anyway, that’s exactly what Andrej did to construct multiplication on the HIIT Cauchy reals. It works, but I want a general theory. Possibly ’uniformly continuous on every bounded subset’ is what I meant instead of ’locally uniformly continuous’ – that’s also what Wikipedia says. I guess that this condition should work for every metric space. Can the concept be extended to uniform spaces somehow?

Wikipedia only mentions local compactness in connection with the converse, that if a function extends to the completion then it is uniformly continuous on bounded subsets. I guess the idea is that the completion of a bounded subset will then be compact, so that any continuous function is uniformly so. So for a counterexample to the converse, we just need a nonuniformly continuous function on a bounded and complete but non-locally-compact space. Maybe the closed unit ball in a Hilbert space?

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2013
    • (edited May 17th 2013)

Can the concept be extended to uniform spaces somehow?

Interesting question. My guess is “probably so”, along lines of the idea that every uniform space embeds uniformly into a product of (pseudo)metric spaces.

Again, this is just a guess, but one might try defining a subset SS of a uniform space XX to be bounded if its image f(S)f(S) is bounded for any uniformly continuous function f:Xf: X \to \mathbb{R}. If all works out, this would give a canonical notion of bornology for a uniform space. Lemma: if g:XYg: X \to Y is uniformly continuous, then gg takes bounded sets of XX to bounded sets of YY. The proof is routine.

So then one might hope to prove that if XX is a uniform space, YY is a complete uniform space, and if f:XYf: X \to Y is a continuous function whose restriction to each bounded subset of XX is uniformly continuous, then ff extends uniquely to a continuous function X¯Y\bar{X} \to Y on the completion, again with the property of being uniformly continuous when restricted to bounded sets of X¯\bar{X}.

(I’d like to return to this later, but thought I’d jot down these thoughts now for what they’re worth.)

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2013

Bounded subspaces are a red herring. In the real line, a subspace is totally bounded iff it's bounded, and one traditionally speaks of bounded subspaces instead of totally bounded ones in this context. (Similarly, one traditionally speaks of closed subspaces instead of complete ones; thus, undergraduates learn that compact means closed and bounded instead of complete and totally bounded.) Since every metric space is uniformly equivalent to a bounded metric space (in which every subspace is therefore bounded), uniform continuity on bounded subspaces is not even a uniform property and so can't possibly mean Cauchy continuity.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2013

(I’ve been away from the internet for a few days.) I’m pretty sure that my last comment did define a bornology on a uniform space. It’s also true that this bornology need not coincide with the collection of “bounded spaces” (as ordinarily understood) in a metric space. So I think we might be talking about different things, and I’m not yet convinced that this bornology is a “red herring”. But perhaps I should put this to the test and see what if anything in #6 pans out.

• CommentRowNumber9.

Do the totally bounded subsets of a uniform space form a bornology?

• CommentRowNumber10.

Yes, the totally bounded subsets of a uniform space form a bornology.

My statement that boundedness is a red herring is not a direct response to Todd's bornology but a general principle. When generalising from \mathbb{R} to arbitrary uniform spaces or beyond, total boundedness is usually the way to go. In particular, I'm not claiming that Todd's bornology is a red herring. It can't possibly extend boundedness of metric spaces (since it's a manifestly uniform property), as Todd suggested; but since boundedness of metric spaces is a red herring, that's a good thing!

• CommentRowNumber11.

Thanks for clarifying, Toby.

Total boundedness is closely connected with compactness (for a complete metric space, the compact subsets are the closed totally bounded subsets), so I thought it might be worthwhile to have a look at a less restrictive concept which could apply to non-(locally compact) examples like Hilbert spaces. But as I say, I need to think more about how good a concept it is.

• CommentRowNumber12.

for a complete metric space, the compact subsets are the closed totally bounded subsets

More generally, for any metric space (or uniform space, or more generally), the compact subsets are the complete totally bounded subsets. In a complete Hausdorff space, complete = closed; but more generally, it's completeness that matters.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2013

It seems to me that what we really need, in order for a continuous function to extend to the completion, is for it to be uniformly continuous on the bounded sets in some bornology with the property that every point of the completion lies in the closure of a bounded set. Or to put it another way, ff extends to the completion if every point of the completion lies in the closure of a set on which ff is uniformly continuous. This latter property is what isn’t obvious to me for the totally bounded sets or those in Todd’s bornology — in fact at the moment it seems unlikely to me to be true.