Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2013

I’ve been experimenting with installing a local version of instiki to try to find a reliable set of steps to convince Jacques that the cache bug exists. After discovering that it didn’t exist on my local version, I started comparing it with a live installation (actually mathsnotes) and found that one key module was at a newer version in my local installation when compared with the live installation. I updated that module and - hey presto! - the cache bug disappeared.

I’ve updated that module on the nLab as well and the steps that I’d found that reliably showed the cache bug no longer do so. I’ve deleted the entire cache from the nLab (not the personal webs). So with a bit of luck the cache bug should be well and truly squashed.

Of course, I feel Murphy’s law lurking around the corner so I’ll not believe that it has gone until about a year’s gone by with no-one reporting it … but I’m hopeful.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2013

Huzzah! That’s truly wonderful news… perhaps people here should try doing the usual things they did which led the cache bug to rear its ugly head. But many thousands of thanks in advance, Andrew.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Wow, thanks Andrew. That’s god news.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

Yes, that's divine, Andrew!

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Well, good news, anyway.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter

Great. Incidently I once had a computer with a faulty keyboard which when I tried to type book it produced bok, when I typed good I got god, and for dog …. strangely it sometimes came out as doog!

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2013

There is the old announcement: The King is dead, long live the King! so perhaps Urs’s comment on the Lab Down thread is of the same ilk!

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2013

Andrew,

could you maybe check, it seems to me I just ran into the cache bug again: go to Comparison lemma and then try to edit it. That will take you to the HomePage, signaling the fact that the entry had meanwhile been renamed to comparison lemma, but the old caching is still there. It seems to me.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2013

Oh … botheration.

So, not completely dead then.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2013

That's what I get for not checking when I moved it!

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2013

I did a bit more digging, and have made a conjecture about the cause of the cache bug. Jacques still can’t reproduce it, although I get pretty consistent results between the nLab, my course wiki (mathsnotes), and a test installation on my local machine.

So, with Jacques’ blessing, I’ve made a small modification to the Instiki code underlying the nLab which ought to clonk the cache bug firmly on the head. We’ll see …

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2013

fingers crossed

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorjim_stasheff
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2013
    I don't know if the cache bug has come back from the dead or thisis anew bug, but I no loger get ntification of recent posting to n-cafe or nforum as I used to. I am ablew to click on the name n-category cafe or nforum
    and can then scroll through a bunch of stuff, but it was much better to have a lsitn fo what's new.
    • CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2013

Jim, you weren’t using Google Reader, were you? (I was, but switched over to The Old Reader after Google announced they were pulling the plug on their own Reader.)

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Getting off-topic, but how do you like The Old Reader, Todd? I was also left high and dry by the death of Google Reader; so far I’ve been using Feedly, which is okay but not ideal.

• CommentRowNumber16.

The math seems to render better for me on TOR than it ever did with GR, so that’s a definite plus. Overall, I think this gives it an edge over GR; there is some minor annoyance where, if you click on an older post, the posts after that one temporarily lose their markings as unread (so that I feel obligated to read in reverse chronological order). But maybe there’s an easy fix; I’m not too good with stuff like that.

• CommentRowNumber17.

Jim,

That’s definitely not the cache bug, since that was related to the nLab itself and neither the forum nor the café. I’m not sure what’s going wrong with the forum. If you go to the “Account” tab and click on “Notifications” in the menu on the left-hand side then you can see what things you should get notified about. Are any of those checked?