Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorNoon
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2013
    • (edited Jun 12th 2013)

A few grad students and I are starting a reading group on the Firewall problem and related aspects, so I’ve created a page in the nLab with a bunch of relevant papers:

(not yet a complete list.)

The goal will be to develop the page into a introduction to the problem, and the resolutions proposed, etc.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

Thanks, Noon. I added a link to the Wikipedia page on the firewall, but ideally an independent summary would be best.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

I regularised the name of the page and added a very brief summary.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jun 12th 2013)

Thanks. I have added a pointer to

• Kyriakos Papadodimas, Suvrat Raju,

An Infalling Observer in AdS/CFT

(arXiv:1211.6767)

which strikes me as being more of a computational physics argument than a random story.

As these authors remark in their introduction:

These [ BH firewall ] proposals originate not from direct calculations in quantum gravity, [ .. ] While quantum gravity is a mysterious subject, the AdS/CFT correspondence [12] provides us with a setting where we can examine these ideas within a perfectly well defined theory.

I have also tried to standardize the formatting of the references a bit.

Then I tried to rename the entry to “black hole firewall”, which seems to me to be the more descriptive title. Unfortunately, the nLab software is broken and the renaming did not work. Best to not further rename anything until this has been resolved (see the discussion here).

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I have also added a pointer to

which amplifies the argument of Papadodimas and Raju a bit more, and how it stands out as being based on an actual computation in an actual theory.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorNoon
    • (edited Jun 12th 2013)

Thanks for the updates and standardisation everyone, the page is looking a lot nicer!

However there is a quirk due to the re-naming. There are now two pages:

Where the last one is the more updated one. Should we delete one?

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorNoon

I’ve replaced the “black hole firewall” one with a link to “firewall problem” so-as to not lose some updates by having both around. Happy to shift the page to the “black hole firewall” page though, if that is best.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

The main renaming bug appears to be fixed, so I’ve moved the black hole firewall one to empty 30 and renamed firewall problem to black hole firewall problem (wasn’t sure which name to pick!).

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks Noon, thanks Andrew!

• CommentRowNumber10.

Since the erstwhile [[empty 30]] has edit history in it, I moved it to black hole firewall > history.

• CommentRowNumber11.

ok - after all that, please don’t feel intimidated, Noon, from going ahead with your reading group. The above is just normal nLab sausage-making.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorNoon
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2013

Thanks David, not to worry, I’m quite happy to have it formalised a bit!

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jun 13th 2013)

Probably you mean formatted, not formalized?

We’ll come to the formalization of quantum gravity just a little bit later ;-)

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jun 13th 2013)

I am not sure what David Roberts in #11 is referring to. Did we misbehave? Seemed to me that we said “thank you” and then offered a bunch of help. (The bugs in the nLab software don’t scare newcomers away, or do they?)

But maybe I may say one thing: if I were asked, I’d discourage young students of physics from looking into the “firewall problem”.

To me, the “firewall” discussion is one of several signs of a troubling degeneration of the level of sophistication in discussion among theoretical physicists. Physics enthusiasts used to say the following, to boast with their precision of thinking over their colleagues in other departments of natural science:

If you have nothing to say, then write an essay, if you have something to say, then write a formula.

But this attitude, won by hard fights back in the old days when “natural philosophy” turned into science, seems to be changing in part of the community these days. Most of the “firewall” discussion is an continued exachange of essays with no formal mathematical arguments in them. The physical laws by which the arguments proceed, to the extent that there are arguments, mostly remain vague or unstated or, in fact, unknown.

There are of course some exceptions, such as the article that I mentioned above.

Another thing that I find troubling is that the “public perception”, notably the science-sections of major magazins and newspapers, very consistently and continuously manage to pick out of all the very interesting fundamental physics that is going on these days the uninteresting bits. In itself we might not care, but in a big feedback loop, via laymen sitting in physics funding committees and via wishes and dreams seeded within young impressionable students, it comes back to the scientific community and hurts it.

If you judge from the newspapers these days, you must come to think that the deep topics of modern fundamental physics concern the nature of event horizons of black holes, the proposal that space is made of entropic polymers, the discovery of, behold, Grassmannian spaces and the like.

And this at a time when we are seeing so much deep physics happen. Not in the newspapers though.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorNoon
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2013

Urs - the reason I personally am interested in this area is due to the ER=EPR paper and the idea of linking entanglement and black holes. To me it seems worthwhile to try and understand what that even means, hence the attempt to read about it.

Aside from that, it seems like a good excuse to get to know this area of physics, and you can never know ahead of time what you’ll get out of it.

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2013

Urs

I am not sure what David Roberts in #11 is referring to. Did we misbehave?

I only wanted Noon (and friends) to not be scared off by all this flurry of formal activity turning the page into something more structured - we know we can add stuff almost however and it will improve, but there’s the psychological barrier of having to ’get it right’ I wanted to dispel (perhaps needlessly).

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2013

You absolutely do not have to get it right; that's what lab elves are for!