Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2013
    • (edited Jul 28th 2013)

I’m having some trouble deciding how seriously I want to take the discussion title, so I thought I’d ask others here for their opinions.

Ordinarily, generalized multicategories are discussed in the context of a cartesian monad TT on a finitely complete category CC. One may pass to a bicategory of TT-spans (ordinary spans in CC of the form TXRYT X \leftarrow R \to Y), composed in Kleisli fashion. A TT-multicategory is then a monad in the bicategory of TT-spans.

One could play a very similar game with weakly cartesian monads TT on a regular category CC (meaning that TT preserves weak pullbacks, and the naturality squares for unit and multiplication are weak pullbacks). One may pass to a locally posetal bicategory of TT-relations (ordinary jointly monic spans in CC of the form TXRYT X \leftarrow R \to Y), composed again in Kleisli fashion. The weak cartesianness is just what is needed to make this work. Then a relational TT-module (or whatever one wants to call it) is a monad in the 2-category of TT-relations.

That’s all very well and good. And in the case of TT = ultrafilter monad on C=SetC = Set, this all works out, except for one annoying detail: the unit transformation is not weakly cartesian. (Everything else is fine: TT preserves weak pullbacks, and the naturality squares for the multiplication are weak pullbacks.) So as far as I can tell, there is no 2-category of TT-relations.

Is there some way to circumvent this detail to make a nice parallel development with usual TT-multicategories? What do people think?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Have a look at my paper with Geoff Cruttwell.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • (edited Jul 28th 2013)

I hope I didn’t cause offense with my question, Mike (and sorry if I did)! I hadn’t realized that this observation is actually due to you two.

I actually thought I was raising a good question. Is there a particular place in the paper where you address this concern? Example A.7 looks pertinent.

Edit: Well, you can hold off on replying if you’d like – I’m looking through your paper with Cruttwell now. It looks as though you’re introducing a still more general notion of multicategory than the one adumbrated in my opening post, and also that one of the crucial inputs for one set of instances of this notion is the notion of taut monad, and the ultrafilter monad is an example of that.

This looks like a very nice paper.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

No, no offense taken. I was just in a hurry this morning, sorry.

That’s right, we’re proposing a more general notion of multicategory. The notion of taut monad, and the observation that relational β\beta-modules are an example of generalized multicategories relative to a taut monad, is not due to us either; there’s a whole group of people (Clementino, Hofmann, Tholen, Seal) who’ve developed a theory of “generalized multicategories” of that sort, which we discuss more generally in B.6. What we were trying to do is find a general framework that includes both the CHTS sort of generalized multicategories and also the “Leinster-Burroni” sort that you described, as well as others.