Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2013
    • (edited Aug 11th 2013)

When pointing somebody to it, I noticed that the entry n-category is in a rather sad state and in particular it used to start out in a rather unhelpful fashion. I have now tried to briefly fix at least the latter problem by expanding and editing the first two sentences a bit. Notably I made sure that a pointer to (∞,n)-category appears early on, for that is a place with more robust information, currently.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2013

I noticed that n-category still contained an old query box from me remarking on a rumor that Joyal’s definition is not quite right. This has since been made precise and fixed by Dimitri Ara, so I added a remark to that effect and removed the query box. Ara’s notion of “n-quasicategory” appears to be missing from the nLab and in particular from the entry (infinity,n)-category, but I don’t have time to add it now.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Oct 9th 2013)

Dimitri Ara’s stuff is all discussed at model structure on cellular sets, and linked to from the relevant entries.

But it is true that I failed to highlight the term “n-quasicategory” when writing that entry. I have now created n-quasicategory and cross-linked with relevant entries.

[ the hyphen-bug is effective. I tried to add redirects with the (invisible) variants of the hyphen. But if some links to “n-quasicategory” are still broken, we need to replace them by copy-and-pasting the entry title ]

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Ah, great, thanks.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2022

To the “list of definitions” (here) I have added a line:

(But this old entry would deserve some more attention and updating…)

diff, v30, current

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2023

Removed the following two query boxes, which had no effect despite being displayed there for many years. As a side remark, the entry that is the progenitor of nLab’s name should probably have at least some references…

+–{: .query} Someone should add some more references! =–

+–{: .query} Please add any other comparisons you are aware of! =–

diff, v31, current

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2023
    • (edited May 29th 2023)

have expanded the Idea-section (here, ending up effectively rewriting it from scratch, thereby)

added a References-section with a pointer to the references at higher category theory.

Best would probably be to create an entry higher categories – references with a bare list of references, and then to !include it here and there and maybe elsewhere, too.

diff, v33, current

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2024

added references with exposition of algebraic notions of nn-categories

(moved over from the entry infinity-category, as announced there)

diff, v35, current

1. I replaced “terminal category” with “singleton” because “terminal category” suggests that it is terminal in the category of 1-categories and 1-functors, which is inappropriate in the context of the sentence. (This is also where the link goes.)

Patrick Nicodemus

diff, v36, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2024

How about we keep the link but make it read “singleton category”, which is what the entry behind the link discusses.

I feel that if one wants to be pedantic here then better to adjust the title/redirects of that entry than not pointing to it.

diff, v37, current