Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorHarry Gindi
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2009
    I recently ran into a problem on MathOverflow, where I was talking about both model categories, and "models" of an n-category (specifically (\infty,1) in this case, but it doesn't matter). Is there a better word for a "model", used just as an english word here? I mean, it's somewhat like "construction," but stronger, while it's not as strong as a "characterization". Any ideas? Are there any conventions on this?
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

For emphasis one could say that among all the models for higher categories, there is particularly Quillen's model for (oo,1)-categories.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    Is that the best answer you can give?
    • CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    This comment is invalid XHTML+MathML+SVG; displaying source. <div> <blockquote> Is that the best answer you can give? </blockquote> <p>I am sensing a certain dissatisfaction with that answer. :-)</p> <p>I must say I do like the answer I gave. It is rarely put explicitly this way, but it deserves to be said that "model" in "Quillen model category" means precisely (with a bit of historical hindsight) "Quillens model for (oo,1)-categories".</p> <p>So instead of inventing new terminology, why not embrace the rare coincidence that historically evolved terminology does happen to be logical and fitting?</p> </div>
    • CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

But etymologically, the ‘model’ in ‘model category’ means that the model category is a 1-categorial model for a specific (oo,1)-category, while Harry wants to say that model categories comprise a model for the entire concept of (oo,1)-categories.

Besides ‘construction’, Harry, how about ‘definition’? That is, one could write ‘An (oo,1)-category is [...].’, substituting the definition of model category, quasicategory, simplicially enriched category, or so on. Of course, some of these might not make very good defintions, which is why ‘model’ is a better word, but one might naïvely try them.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • (edited Dec 14th 2009)
    No, I don't want to change the terminology! I just want a term for "model" as in the sense of "a construction" that is completely explicit. 'Definition' won't work either, because the notion of an (infty,1) category is (should be?) independent of the 'model' we choose for it. That is, in 'the book', there's the perfect notion of an (infty,1) category, and all of these very different constructions are just trying to 'model' this perfect definition of (infty,1)-categoryness.
    • CommentRowNumber7.

I would contrast a ‘notion’ (which should be perfect) with a ‘definition’ (which may never be perfect). The latter term is pretty well established when talking about definitions of n-category.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • (edited Dec 14th 2009)
    Oh, by the way, is defining infinity categories axiomatically pretty much accepted to be an intractable problem? Due to combinatorial explosions and all that.
    • CommentRowNumber9.

You just need some clever idea to handle those. Coming up with such an idea is the hard part, but not necessarily intractable. I don't know what the cutting edge is on the question, but maybe somebody else will speak up.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

I think that actually, the "model" in "model category" refers to the objects of the model category as "models" for homotopy types (or objects of some other homotopy theory). So "model category" really means "category of models."

I agree with Toby that "definition" can be used for the precise ones, with "notion" or "idea" or "concept" for the thing that they're all trying to model.

Harry, I'm not sure what you mean by "defining \infty-categories axiomatically" -- is there something "non-axiomatic" about all the existing definitions listed at n-category?

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2009
    I mean sure, those are axiomatic, but they require you to have lots of background to even understand the definition. I mean something simple. I mean, it's the difference of defintitions between varieties and manifolds. Sure, theyr'e very similar, but it was much harder to generalize a manifold because it couldn't be defined purely algebraically (hush about the zariski topology, you know the difference!). That's the distinction I''m trying to make.
    • CommentRowNumber12.

I took what Harry said to mean axiomatising the notion of \infty-category in a way analagous to the way in which ETCS axiomatises the notion of 0-category (set); my answer #9 should be interpreted in that light.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    That would work too.
    • CommentRowNumber14.

So Harry, it sounds like your real question is, is there a simple definition of \infty-category? I think the answer to that question is that no one has yet come up with one.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    What I meant was, "Has it basically been shown that it's not likely that one exists because of the whole combinatorial explosion problem?"
    • CommentRowNumber16.

No, I don't think that anybody would accept that reason. After all, people have come up with definitions of \infty-category, and while none of these is exactly simple, still there are precise finite deifnitions that don't involve infinitely many clauses due to combinatorial explosion. That is, all of them take steps to tie up the necessary combinatorial data into a finite package.

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Joyal says at one place that quasi-categories ar an example of an infinity category. Maybe there will be useful versions/examples at some point which are not equivalent to others. Saying model presumes the conjecture that all the infinity categories if they have the same numbers a la Baez (infty, r) then they are "the same" in approrpiate sense (equivalence of model categories of such is not sufficient as this is just (infty,1)-equivalence, one should have equivalence of (infty,r+1)-categories of (infty,r)-categories, so r jumps by one in true statement hopefully).

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    This comment is invalid XHTML+MathML+SVG; displaying source. <div> <blockquote> the whole combinatorial explosion problem?" </blockquote> <p>Is the explosion necessarily so explosive?</p> <p>The definition of a <a href="https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/weak+compicial+set">weak compicial set</a>, for instance, is only slightly more intricate than that of a Kan complex, and still supposedly models arbitrary oo-categories.</p> <p>Or for instance the recursive definition of <a href="https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/Trimble+n-category">Trimble n-category</a> is very succinct, and also supposed to give a definition of general oo-categories.</p> </div>
    • CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Dec 15th 2009)
    This comment is invalid XHTML+MathML+SVG; displaying source. <div> <blockquote> I think that actually, the "model" in "model category" refers to the objects of the model category as "models" for homotopy types </blockquote> <p>Can we find out from a historical source? I always felt "model" was meant as "model for homotopy theory". Otherwise, the term "category of models" would have been more fitting.</p> </div>
    • CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    This comment is invalid XHTML+MathML+SVG; displaying source. <div> <blockquote> Has it basically been shown that it's not likely that one exists because of the whole combinatorial explosion problem? </blockquote> <p>Just to amplify: no, on the contrary: it has been shown that reasonably tractable definitions of oo-categories do exist. Another point in case is Rezk's <a href="https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/Theta+space">Theta space</a>s, which are claimed to model (n,r) categories for all n and r, including infinity. This is a pretty cool model as it lends itself seamlessly to a definition of a (oo,n)-stack in terms of a <a href="https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/homotopical+presheaf">homotopical presheaf</a>.</p> </div>
    • CommentRowNumber21.

@Zoran: I would argue that if two purported definitions of n-category turn out not to be equivalent, then at least one of them should be called something else, though without necessarily implying that it is any less interesting. As everyone probably knows by now, I definitely believe that there are very interesting and useful "higher categorical structures" that are not n-categories. But I do believe that there is a unique particular notion out there which should be given the name "n-category."