Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2013
    • (edited Oct 10th 2013)

Xiao-Gang Wen has started an entry symmetry protected trivial order.

He mentions ’group super-cohomology theory’ as describing fermionic SPT orders. Given our super-slick account of group cohomology, do we just change the ambient \infty-topos to Super \infty Grpd?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks for highlighting, I would have missed it otherwise.

Yes, if this means (as it seems it does) group cohomology of super-Lie groups, then, yes, this is just mapping spaces in SuperGrpdSuper\infty Grpd.

Right now we are talking about just such super Lie group cohomology at our Super Gerbes meeting. And that’s why right now I have to run and quit reading here. But I’ll try to get back to this later this evening. Thanks again for the heads up.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • (edited Oct 10th 2013)

Started a page for Xiao-Gang Wen, who is now at the Perimeter Institute. The description there mentions ’condensed matter’ theory. We could do with an entry on that. Someone at Princeton gives it a go here. So solid-state physics is now seen as a branch of condensed matter physics.

EDIT: Oh, that’s just taken from wikipedia Condensed matter physics.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

We have had a stub solid state physics for some time. I have added more redirects.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorxgwen
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2013
    Group super-cohomology theory is a term that Gu and I invented. It is not the group cohomology for supergroup. It is a "group cohomology" with anticommuting coefficient. The usual group cohomology with U(1) coefficient is denoted as H^d[G,U(1)].
    In group super-cohomology we replace U(1) by something that contain anticommuting Grassman numbers. We really want to know is there such kind of group cohomology theory in math (maybe under a different name). I would like to thank Urs for editting the SPT entry.
    • CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks for the information. I would expect that also your definition of cohomology with super-geometric coefficients is still given by maps in the higher supergeometric topos.

Could you point me to the precise page of an article where the group super-cohomology in your sense is defined? Thanks!

• CommentRowNumber7.

Presumably it’s Symmetry-protected topological orders for interacting fermions – fermionic topological non-linear sigma-models and a group super-cohomology theory

In this paper, we introduce a (special) group super-cohomology theory

See Appendix C on p. 35.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2015
    • (edited Oct 7th 2015)

I have finally begun to cross-linke symmetry protected topological order with higher dimensional WZW model, due to the article

• Xie Chen, Zheng-Cheng Gu, Zheng-Xin Liu, Xiao-Gang Wen, Symmetry protected topological orders and the group cohomology of their symmetry group, Phys. Rev. B 87, 155114 (2013) arXiv:1106.4772; A short version in Science 338, 1604-1606 (2012) pdf

which argues that the bosonic SPT phases are described just by such higher WZW models.

This needs to be expanded on.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2022

I have re-written and expanded the Idea-section of this entry.

Also, I have changed the title from “… trivial order” to “… topological phase”, to be less confusing.

diff, v19, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

also I am polishing up some of the old previous material here (in large part by X.-G. Wen himself), such as properly bringing out this reference item:

diff, v19, current

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited May 7th 2022)

added the reference for the “first” (and only) example that the entry has been mentioning:

diff, v19, current

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited May 7th 2022)

I have trouble spotting the argument (or proof, if that’s the right word) for the claim about the classification of SPTs “by group cohomology” – it does not seem to be in the two articles that are usually cited for this claim.

Now I see that an argument is spelled out in Sec. V of:

But this uses a peculiar concrete lattice model and, it seems to me, some more assumptions.

In any case, I have added this pointer now.

diff, v20, current

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2022

I have expanded a fair bit all three items in the remark on terminology conventions (here).

diff, v25, current

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2022
    • (edited May 11th 2022)

added mentioning of the notion of “symmetry enriched topological” (SET) phases (right at the beginning, here)

diff, v29, current

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I have adjusted the content of the section “Classification” a little (here) and then I have added the following cautionary quote from a more recent article (BBCW 19):

Although a remarkable amount of progress has been made on these deeply interrelated topics, a completely general understanding is lacking, and many questions remain. For example, although there are many partial results, the current understanding of fractionalization of quantum numbers, along with the classification and characterization of SETs is incomplete.

diff, v29, current

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

also added (still here) from Wang & Senthil 14, p. 1

this classification is now known not to be complete

diff, v29, current

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2022

I have added in the section on Classification of internal-SPT phases (here) some indication of the basic proposal due to

diff, v30, current

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2022

Have appended to this (here) a couple of paragraphs on how inspection of TE-K theory seems to resolve the issue.

diff, v31, current

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2022

added pointer to

and took from it a further quote (now here) on how the classification of SPTs remains an open problem.

diff, v34, current

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2022

added a table (here) showing organization and examples of types of symmetries to which the discussion applies (external spatial, external CT, internal/on-site)

will add this also to related entries, such as at internal symmetry

diff, v37, current

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2022

I have re-worded a fair bit the list of types of protecting symmetries here, bringing the prime example of internal Spin(3)Spin(3)-symmetry more to the forefront

diff, v39, current

• CommentRowNumber22.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2022

I am wondering now about the followint CMT- Question:

What’s a plausible way to realize/find (approximate) cyclic-group (/n\mathbb{Z}/n) on-site symmetry protection in actual crystals/materials?

More specifically:

What’s a plausible way to realize in actual materials a cyclic group on-site symmetry protection where /nSU(2)Spin(3)\mathbb{Z}/n \subset SU(2) \simeq Spin(3) is a maximal subgroup of the on-site electron spin-rotation which remains unbroken?

Is this at all something one expects to ever see in the laboratory?

And if the answer should be “Yes” then how about the other finite subgroups of SU(2)?

Could there be an ADE-classification of SPT mechanisms in realistic materials where the protecting symmetry group is a finte subgroup of on-site spin rotation of electrons?

• CommentRowNumber23.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2022

I have now forwarded this question to Physics.SE: here

• CommentRowNumber24.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2022

added pointer to today’s

• Zhihuang Luo, Wenzhao Zhang, Xinfang Nie, Dawei Lu, Observation of a symmetry-protected topological phase in external magnetic fields [arXiv2208.05357]

diff, v46, current

• CommentRowNumber25.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2022

added pointer to

diff, v48, current