Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2013
    • (edited Oct 21st 2013)

I have finally added some actual content to de Donder-Weyl-Hamilton equation.

In particular I have spelled out the “non-relativistic” form

(ι v nι v 1)ω=d(H+e) (\iota_{v_n} \cdots \iota_{v_1}) \omega = \mathbf{d}(H + e)

and the “relativistic” form

(ι v nι v 1)Ω=0 (\iota_{v_n} \cdots \iota_{v_1} )\Omega = 0

and discussed the relation.

(I think I even sorted out all the signs correctly ;-)

1. De Donder is a Dutch name, not French “de Donder”.

Anonymous

diff, v14, current

2. De Donder is a Dutch name, not French “de Donder”.

Anonymous

diff, v15, current

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2018
    • (edited Oct 28th 2018)

In case someone anonymous checks back, in fact, as you probably know, he was Belgian and went to the Université Libre de Bruxelles. The family name is Flemish, of course. He studied with Poincaré according to the Math. Geneology page. The point is that his name is usually now written De Donder, although the other form de Donder is also used. His first name was Théophile. I do not know which form he used himself, de or De.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2018

I believe the best thing to do would be to see how he spells (or “orthographs”) his own name, and stick with that. In the English Wikipedia, scanning the available linked references, every one of the scientific reviews has “de Donder”, which doesn’t look like a coincidence. Anyway, I don’t see how to justify “correcting” his own spelling, if in fact he uses the lower case. (Compare Dmitri Pavlov’s forceful arguments in favor of Neumark over Naimark.)