Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2009

Expanded the examples section at end (prodded by discussion in the blog), stating Kan extension and geometric realization.

Also added a toc.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorFinnLawler
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2011

I’ve (tidied up a bit and) added a new subsection at end explaining why the hom-weighted (co)limit definition implies the (co)equalizer one.

I wanted to add labels, à la AMSLatex’s equation environment, to a couple of displayed diagrams, but I can’t remember/never knew if iTeX can do that. Anyone know?

Incidentally, the hom-weighted limit definition of ends follows, at least when V=Set, from the universal-extranatural one once you know that there is a Yoneda-type lemma for extranaturals giving a bijection between Exnat(pt, F) and Nat(hom_C, F) (maths rendering doesn’t seem to be working here, at least in the preview). Has anyone seen this extranatural-Yoneda written down elsewhere? I came up with it myself a while ago, but it must have been noticed before.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

To add numbers to a displayed equation, use \[ ... \label{foo} \]. Then (eq:foo) will produce ‘(1)’ (or whatever number it is) and an internal link.

• CommentRowNumber4.

That works perfectly, thanks!

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2011

Another couple of minor edits/additions.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2012
    • (edited Sep 29th 2012)

Entry end requires that the definition of an end of VV-enriched functor C opCVC^{op}\otimes C\to V requires that VV is symmetric. Is this really necessary? (I think I know some examples at least where it is not, but maybe I misunderstand) On the other hand, Kelly’s book starts requiring that VV is symmetric precisely before defining the tensor product of enriched categories (entry not existing yet; the notation of tensor product of enriched categories is freely used at end without warning). What is the problem (if any) with defining the tensor product of VV-enriched categories if VV is not symmetric ?

I see that Matsuhiro Takeuchi is in his paper introducing what is now Takeuchi product used the notation for end and coend interchanged, what is unfortunately followed later by modern writers in Hopf algebras, for that context. This comes in fact from earlier paper by Sweedler who assigns the notation to MacLane. See page 87 in

• M. E. Sweedler, Groups of simple algebras, Publ. IHES 44, 79–189, MR51:587, numdam

Worse, e.g. the label rRM r rN\int_{r\in R}\, M_r\otimes {}_r N would suggest in category community that rr is an object in some category RR and M:RAbM:R\to Ab a functor. For Sweedler and Takeuchi rr will be a morphism in category theoretic interpretation. In fact, as MacLane explains in his section on coends, the usual coend RMN\int^R M\otimes N reproduces the tensor product M RNM\otimes_R N over rings, where ring RR is understood as a category with one object and RR worth of morphisms, and modules are understood as functors RAbR\to Ab; and MNM\otimes N is understood as a bifunctor R op×RAbR^{op}\times R\to Ab.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

I believe you can get away with a braiding, but I’m not sure how you’d get away with less. I suppose that if for example the homs of CC live in the center of the monoidal category VV, you can get away with strictly less and speak of a VV-enriched functor C opCVC^{op} \otimes C \to V.

Maybe the best way of answering the question is to ask another. If CC and DD are VV-enriched, how do you define CDC \otimes D as a VV-category, and in particular how are you supposed to define the composition law? If (CD)((c,d),(c,d))C(c,c)D(d,d)(C \otimes D)((c, d), (c', d')) \coloneqq C(c, c') \otimes D(d, d'), then some sort of interchange seems to be necessary to get the composition.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

As Todd says, you do need some sort of symmetry or braiding in order to define the tensor product of VV-categories in general. However, you can define the notion of VV-profunctor without any symmetry or braiding, by using separate left and right actions. I wonder whether you could define the end or coend of a VV-profunctor directly without needing to regard it as a VV-functor C opCVC^{op}\otimes C \to V?

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2012
    • (edited Sep 30th 2012)

Thank you guys, I will have to extensively think of you suggestions.

Let me mention just the trivial case of a functor of the form V(F,G):C opCVV(F,G):C^{op}\otimes C\to V where F,G:CVF,G:C\to V are just VV-enriched. If F=GF= G this end of V(F,G)V(F,G) gives the usual “inner end” of a functor FF which is in that case a monoid. Instead of π X:E= CV(F,G)V(FX,GX)\pi_X: E = \int_C V(F,G)\to V(F X,G X) one usually by adjunction considers map π˜ X: CV(F,G)FXGX\tilde\pi_X: \int_C V(F,G)\otimes F X \to G X, which become actions in the special case F=GF=G. The universal property is that for every object AA in VV and every VV-natural transformation g:AFGg: A\otimes F\to G there is a unique morphism a:AEa:A\to E in VV such that g=π˜(aF)g = \tilde\pi\circ (a\otimes F). This special case, in this adjoint form, makes sense for biclosed but not symmetric VV, it seems to me (and one does not care how the domain category of V(F,G)V(F,G) be called, as at least enriched hom makes sense always by definition). Though I am not sure, if I translated fully the conditions for universal wedges of morphisms EC(X,Y)V(FX,GX)V(GX,GY)V(FX,GY)E\otimes C(X,Y)\to V(F X,G X)\otimes V(G X,G Y)\to V(F X,G Y) and along another line EC(X,Y)V(FY,GY)V(FX,FY)V(FX,GY)E\otimes C(X,Y)\to V(F Y,G Y)\otimes V(F X,F Y)\to V(F X,G Y).

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

In the case of a tensor product of a functor F:C opVF: C^{op} \to V and G:CVG: C \to V, where VV is merely monoidal biclosed and cocomplete, we have a coequalizer diagram

c,dG(c)C(c,d)F(d) cG(c)F(c)G CF= cG(c)F(c)\sum_{c, d} G(c) \otimes C(c, d) \otimes F(d) \stackrel{\to}{\to} \sum_c G(c) \otimes F(c) \to G \otimes_C F = \int^c G(c) \otimes F(c)

with not a trace of symmetry in sight.

We can do something similar for the hom of two functors F,G:CVF, G: C \to V, phrased in terms of actions F(c)C(c,d)F(d)F(c) \otimes C(c, d) \to F(d). If we are careful and say v- \otimes v is left adjoint to vv \multimap - (so we are just assuming closed monoidal here), then one can carefully check there is a canonical isomorphism

(uv)wu(vw)(u \otimes v) \multimap w \cong u \multimap (v \multimap w)

and we can also curry the action on GG as an extranatural family of maps G(c)C(c,d)G(d)G(c) \to C(c, d) \multimap G(d). In that case we have a family

F(d)G(d)(F(c)C(c,d))G(d)F(c)(C(c,d)G(d))F(d) \multimap G(d) \to (F(c) \otimes C(c, d)) \multimap G(d) \cong F(c) \multimap (C(c, d) \multimap G(d))

(using the action on FF) and a family

F(c)G(c)F(c)(C(c,d)G(d))F(c) \multimap G(c) \to F(c) \multimap (C(c, d) \multimap G(d))

(using the curryed action on GG), and take the equalizer

hom C(F,G)= cF(c)G(c) cF(c)G(c) c,dF(c)(C(c,d)G(d))\hom_C(F, G) = \int_c F(c) \multimap G(c) \to \prod_c F(c) \multimap G(c) \stackrel{\to}{\to} \prod_{c, d} F(c) \multimap (C(c, d) \multimap G(d))

using these two families to define the parallel arrows.

I haven’t investigated the situation for more general ends and coends but without symmetry.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

An even more general statement is that if WW is a locally cocomplete bicategory whose composition has right adjoints in each variable (i.e. all right extensions and right liftings exist), then there is another such bicategory Mod(W)Mod(W) whose objects are WW-enriched categories and whose morphisms are bimodules. An advantage of phrasing and proving it like that is that it doesn’t even make sense to talk about a bicategory being “symmetric”, so there’s less danger that you’re using symmetry without realizing it.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Amazing answers :)

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorIngoBlechschmidt
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2015
    • (edited May 8th 2015)

Added to end a pointer to Fosco’s beautiful introduction which was also discussed here.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2015

Ingo, thanks for adding the pointer! I could have sworn that I had added this earlier, but clearly I didn’t.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2015
    • (edited Jun 5th 2015)

There is some strange wording at end:

[where is customary notation for the enriched hom of in ]

What was intended? It sort of looks like a half completed edit.

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorDexter Chua
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2016

Added an explicit definition of ends in terms of wedges; natural transformations as ends, and an example of (co)end calculus.