Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2013
    • (edited Dec 10th 2013)

It seems that something broke with the way the tables of contents come out.

The code

#Topos#
      * table of contents
      {:toc}

currently makes the title “Topos” appear twice. This affects essentially every page on the nnLab.

It didn’t used to be this way and it shouldn’t be like this.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

Yes, something changed very recently. Might it be to do with the changes Andrew made today?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • (edited Dec 10th 2013)

(Whoops - wrong discussion)

• CommentRowNumber4.

Maruku underwent an update a while ago. It seems as though this has only just propagated into the nLab with the current update (updates in modules like maruku don’t always get pulled in when I update instiki, it seems).

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Okay, so you are saying this is a bug introduced by the Maruku team? Can one do something about it?

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2013

If we take out that top line (# Topos in the example, which appears as # Contents in many pages), then the table of contents works, albeit with no heading. If we want the heading (which I would support), then perhaps we can create some custom CSS for it.

Or we may need to edit the CSS for the table of contents itself. How did we use to stop that first header from appearing anyway?

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Dec 11th 2013)

I tried

**Contents**
      * table of contents

but that produces ill-formatted output.

In any case, let’s be careful with working around this. This is clearly a bug (since the title appears twice and since both accurences disappear if one removes the single line) so it might be that we first implement a workaround and then somebody fixes the bug only to make our workaround break in turn, for instance if they decide that the code

* table of contents

produces a single “Content” headline (which I’d say is what makes sense).

• CommentRowNumber8.

It’s not clear to me that it is a bug; it may be that a bug was fixed. Logically, the top header should appear twice, just like every other header: once in the table of contents, and once for itself. I thought that we had to write the CSS carefully so that it wouldn't appear in the ToC, so maybe it's a bug that this no longer works … but maybe our CSS was a kludge taking advantage of a bug that's been fixed. (That's why I asked how our CSS was supposed to work; I don’t understand it.)

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2013
    • (edited Dec 12th 2013)

Oh, I see, right. In that case it’s a bit dramatic, because it would mean that on each and every nnLab page we have to subtract one hash-symbol from each and every headline.

• CommentRowNumber10.

To me, the right solution would be to be able to add a pseudo-attribute to a header which allowed one to exclude it from the TOC.

I agree with Toby’s analysis of what’s going on: previously not every header made it into the TOC but now it does.

• CommentRowNumber11.

Such a pseudo-header might be useful for other things too, such as when a ToC gets too long.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2013

What’s the implication of stating wishes for the right solution? Where to send this wish-list to?

And since presently every nLab page with a TOC looks broken: what might be a way to proceed to have this sorted out rather sooner than later?

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2013
    • (edited Dec 18th 2013)

And wait, just excluding the TOC from the TOC won’t solve the whole issue. Part of the issue is that the highest headline level on the nnLab used to be induced by double hash-symbols, while now it seems that it is given by single hash-symbols. If this is to stay, we should find a way to remove one hash from each and every headline on the nnLab. No?

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2013

If this is to stay, we should find a way to remove one hash from each and every headline on the nnLab. No?

I would like that we do not subtract, if other solutions anyhow possible.

• CommentRowNumber15.

Part of the issue is that the highest headline level on the nnLab used to be induced by double hash-symbols, while now it seems that it is given by single hash-symbols.

No, this has always been the case. We generally chose to use a double hash for the highest internal level because we were using a single hash to head up the contents (and because the title is at the same level, albeit in a different style). Some pages have had single hashes before, and for all I know some still have them!

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Dec 19th 2013)

Some pages had single hashes at top level, but for them the toc would not display correctly, therefore I have been changing them to double hashes whenever i saw them.

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2013

Right, me too.

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2014

The table of contents seems to be working still at natural number; can anybody see why?

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2014
    • (edited Jan 7th 2014)

It seems the issue has been fixed generally now. ?!

A million Thanks! to whoever fixed it (Andrew?)

• CommentRowNumber20.

Yeah, I guess so!

• CommentRowNumber21.

I just install stuff. Jacques is the one who actually does things.