Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTim Campion
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2014
    • (edited Jan 10th 2014)

I’ve just edited topological concrete category to correct the claim that topological functors create limits, which is not quite true: for instance, the forgetful U:TopSetU: \mathrm{Top} \to \mathrm{Set} fails to reflect limits because choosing a finer topology on the limit vertex yields a non-limiting cone with the same image in Set\mathrm{Set}. This is correctly reported on wikipedia and in Joy of Cats, p. 227.

It is true that topological functors allow you to calculate limits using the image of the diagram under the functor, which is quite powerful. In Joy of Cats, a topological functor is said to “uniquely lift limits” (definition p. 227, proven p. 363). There doesn’t seem to be an nlab page for this property – I suppose it’s not much used by most category theorists.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2014

Thanks, it looks like I conflated creating limits with uniquely lifting them.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2014

I’m afraid I’m not very familiar with this material yet, but comparing the definition in the nLab (existence of initial lifts) with that of Abstract and Concrete Categories, it looks like we forgot to specify unique initial lifts. I’ll put in “unique”, but let me know if I’ve missed something.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2014

Hmm, one might argue that from a univalent point of view, uniqueness ought to be left out, since initial lifts are already unique up to isomorphism.

• CommentRowNumber5.

Well, I’m not saying I’m committed to putting in uniqueness, only that it’s different from what I see in ACC.

• CommentRowNumber6.

Yeah, if we do leave out uniqueness, we should comment on the difference. I’m not sure what the right thing to do is; leaving it out is arguably more in the nSpirit, but is it worth differing from the literature?

• CommentRowNumber7.

Okay, I took out uniqueness and added a remark which I hope is accurate.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

I'm pretty sure that I left that out for that reason. I like your remark; I added one sentence.

• CommentRowNumber9.

Looks good, thanks!

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2017

I would like to modify the “default” definition of topological concrete category to include the “evil” condition that U(T)=XU(T)=X, corresponding to the “usual” notion of Grothendieck fibration rather than the weaker one of Street fibration. I think this is usually included in definitions in the literature, and satisfied by most examples, and I don’t think there is a good reason to change it; the weaker notion can be called “weakly topological” or something. The proper way to formulate this sort of condition without equality of objects is probably using displayed categories rather than weakening the equality.

But if anyone has an objection, please raise it!

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2017

Ok, nobody objected, so I did this.