Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2014
    • (edited Feb 4th 2014)

started 道德经, for the moment just in order to record one paragraph which I found strikingly translated by Yiao-Gang Wen, here on Physics.SE.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

Regarding Hegel and the Dao, from his Lectures on Religion

The One is the indeterminate, that without characteristics, the impoverished initial abstraction, what is wholly empty. If it is to be internally concrete, to be living, then it must be determinate, and thus it is the Two, and the Third is the totality, the consummation of determinateness. Thus, even in the first efforts of humanity to think in the form of triunity or trinity, we can observe this necessity.­ Unless three determinations are recognized in God, “God” is an empty word. Right at the beginning of thinking we find the very simplest and most abstract determinations of thought. If, from this assertion that the absolute power is, there occurs the progression to the universal, then thinking begins, though the thinking itself is originally quite empty and abstract.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks! I have added a pointer.

1. I changed the page name to the standard (traditional) form 道德經.

Mark John Hopkins

diff, v5, current