Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorJohn Baez
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2010
    I tried to start an entry called Fermat theory. Unfortunately I screwed up and forgot to capitalized "Fermat". Maybe a lab elf can clean up my mess?

There are also lots of other obvious ways this page could be improved...
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2010

I changed it for you.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2010
    • (edited Jan 3rd 2010)

This appears to be a "gotcha" with the way redirects work. You might want to change your link above to Fermat theory because if someone follows an external link to the lower case version, they can still find it.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2010

@ Eric #3

That's the cache bug. I fixed this case.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2010

I linked to Fermat theory from Lawvere theory.

Somebody should find the time to integrate what Mike keeps discussing into these entries: the entry on Lawvere theory should mention how its a special case of a generalized multicategory, etc.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2010
    • (edited Jan 11th 2010)

I added some stuff to Fermat theory

• added the reference to the original article by Dubuc-Kock, which the talk was based on that the first version of the entry was based on

• added a section on Modules and derivations by using Thomas Nikolaus' blog summary

• removed John's disclaimer that he doesn't know what the definition of modules and derivations in this context are and instead pointed to the new section.

• also, I made explicit in the examples section on C^\infty-rings the way one defines the C^\infty-ring of smooth functions on a genralized space.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2012

A today’s arxiv article added to references at Fermat theory (it introduces super Fermat theory):

• David Carchedi, Dmitry Roytenberg, On theories of superalgebras of differentiable functions, arxiv/1211.6134
    • CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks. One should mention Yetter’s work also

Something similar appears in def. 1.1, 1.2 of

For more on this see at synthetic differential supergeometry.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Thank you. Carchedi and Roytenberg do not seem to be aware of Yetter’s paper – it is not listed in their references.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

They are aware:

[25] David N. Yetter. Models for synthetic supergeometry. Cahiers Topologie G´eom. Diff´erentielle Cat´eg., 29(2):87–108, 1988.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2012
    • (edited Dec 4th 2012)

I edited some of the historical material to be more accurate. (Well, the inaccuracy was already corrected further down, but I made it just not appear in the first place.)

I also added some more details to the paragraph on Hadamard that maybe aren't really necessary (or aren't necessary here).