Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2014
    • (edited Apr 7th 2014)

the entry p-adic number had (and has) its Definition-section filled with a lengthy recollection of the p-adic integers. I have split into two subsections, such as to make it more clear where the actual definition begins.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2014
    • CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2014

I added some material to p-adic number on duality, with a view towards Tate’s thesis and Euler factors. It’s unfinished; I have to take a break away from this for the time being.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2014

I realized that nowhere on the nnLab so far was the actual statement of how the totally disconnectedness of the p-adics motivates the G-topology and so on.

I have added a paragraph on this now at p-adic number – Topological disconnectedness and G-topology.

I have added essentially the same paragraph also to the beginning of rigid analytic geometry.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Could you say a little more on what about total disconnectedness entails a failure of formulating pp-adic geometry by analogy with complex analytic geometry? What fails exactly?

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jul 18th 2014)

Right, good point, one should say more.

One thing that fails is analytic continuation. Apparently the original motivation for Tate to introduce what is now commonly called the G-topology on formal duals to pp-adic Banach algebras is that he could prove analytic continuation using that.

An excellent account of all this traditional story (excluding Berkovich spectra, but most everything else) in in Bosch-Güntzer-Remmert Non-Archimedean Analysis.

Check out the introduction, which hightlights the motivation from analytic continuation

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I had a text somewhere that discussed the naive definition “p-adic manifolds” and the various problems and shortcoming. There is Schneider’s p-Adic analysis and Lie groups (pdf) but I seem to remember I had another text. Hm.