Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2010

The language that Instiki is written in, ruby, got an upgrade recently (to 1.9) and Instiki is now compatible with the updated version. The nLab has just switched today to 1.9. As with any such upgrade, it may have introduced odd behaviour, but it does seem to be working okay. Please record any changes you may notice - both positive and negative! This change also affected itex in that it needed recompiling.

On that, it's possible that pages generated during the switch-over didn't get itex'ed correctly. Due to the cache, these pages may persist. So if a page displays without the mathematics rendered correctly, log it here and we'll force it to be regenerated (if you can't wait that long, do a trivial edit on it - that forces regeneration).

(If you want to email Jacques directly with bugs then please also record them here so that the rest of us know what they were, and some things that might seem like instiki issues actually aren't so need to be brought to the attention of the lab elves.)

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jan 4th 2010)

Hi Andrew,

I just noticed a problem with a page on my personal web: unless I am mixed up the page

path structured smooth (oo,1)-toposes

used to display correctly. Now the itex in the standout box in the section "bare" doesn't disyplay correctly. Could that be due to the update?

Because, what is worse, here is the real problem: the software won't let me edit the page! When I hit edit I get a page saying "Internal Application Error".

I would appreciate if you could just let me know if you can easily figure out what's going on. Otherwise I'll contact Jacques.

(Also, the new boxes around all cross-web links mess up the look of all my personal web pages, that all have plenty of links to the Lab. Can I get rid of these boxes?)

• CommentRowNumber3.

Looking in to it.

• CommentRowNumber4.

Aaagh. This is due to a character encoding issue - the database stores everything in one character set but instiki uses a different one. The problem is that 'infinity' symbol in the page name. I've sent an email to Jacques about it, but I'm going to drop back down to ruby 1.8 for the moment due to the timing.

• CommentRowNumber5.

That also seems to have fixed that section of mathematics as well, which suggests it was another ruby1.9 issue. I'll have to see if I can figure out why that wasn't working.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks, Andrew, for your efforts!!

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2010

Progress report: the issue with page names has been fixed, or at least it ought to have been. I've been able to edit pages with non-standard unicode characters in their names. There may still be issues buried in there, so just let me know if anyone spots anything.

The mathematics issue is, I think, related to the same issue. The problem seems to be due to an infinity symbol (∞) in text embedded in mathematics. For the moment, I've switched it to the word "infinity", sadly putting the entity (∞) doesn't work as it gets converted to ∞ at some point (this shouldn't happen, btw). itex doesn't like unicode symbols for some reason so complains.

Actually, this conversion of entities to unicode is something we've seen this before and it caused quite a lot of smoke so I'm reverting to 1.8.6 again.

• CommentRowNumber8.

Incidentally, Urs, do you want your standout boxes constrained in height in the same way that query boxes are? That is, if they get long then they get little scroll bars. While that's appropriate for query boxes, I'm not so sure for standouts. I think I fixed this on the main nLab, but I notice that it's not fixed on your personal web. Shall I fix that for you?

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Oh, if you can, please fix it on my web, too. I would like standout boxes never to produce a scrollbar, yes.

• CommentRowNumber10.

Done.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks a million, Andrew.

• CommentRowNumber12.

Hmm, not sure what's going on with the standout boxes. It seems to be only the one on that page that gets a scrollbar.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2010

Zoran reported that 'recently revised' doesn't work. That seems to be fixed now, but 'all pages' is now bust.

(For those wondering at what's going on, it's all to do with character sets. The database stores stuff using Latin1, Instiki internally uses utf-8. With Ruby1.8 this didn't seem to be a problem. Ruby1.9 seems to be less forgiving so Jacques has to put in explicit "convert to utf-8" statements all over the shop. Apparently, converting the database to utf-8 wouldn't be a good idea as MySQL's implementation is bust (though that's hearsay - if anyone knows better, let me know).)

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2010

Okay, recently_revised and all_pages now work. It's possible that that's the lot, keep an eye out for other "application error"s.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2010

Yay!Thanks