Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2014
    • (edited May 1st 2014)

at string theory there used to be a stub-section “Fields medal work induced by string theory. I have now expanded that to the following keyword list:

Pure mathematics work which came out of string theory and was awared with a Fields medal includes the following.

Richard Borcherds, 1998

Maxim Kontsevich, 1998

Edward Witten, 1990

Grigori Perelman, 2006

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2014

I didn’t know that Perelman’s work was related to string theory…

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Ricci flow is the renormalization group flow of the bosonic string sigma model in a pure gravity background. But the bosonc string admits two more massless background fields: the dilaton and the B-field. Perelman observed that allowing also the dilaton doesn’t change the qualitative properties of the flow as needed to complete Hamilton’s proof strategy, but does change it quantitatively such as to finally make the pinching behaviour controllable. That allowed to compete the proof.

One might wonder: why not switch on the B-fiel, too, then. But I suppose the flow would then actually find its fixed points where the sigma model becomes conformal. That’s what you’d be after for string physics, but it would no longer serve Hamilton’s proof (unless one could show that the flow necessarily finds the SU(2) WZW model I suppose.)

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited May 2nd 2014)

We now interpret this as a dilaton. Are you sure this is the interpretation which lead Perelman to use this term ? Have in mind that dilaton is about gravity (in many variants) and not necessarily in the variants called string theory.

Borcherds work is about CFT, and CFT main advances just before his work by Belavin, Polyakov, Zamalodhcikov, Knizhnik were mainly motivated by condensed matter physics in 2d. Some of his awarded work has also being largely motivated by the study of monster group as well as automorphic forms, subjects closer to number theory, group theory, lattices and codes.

Besides, I am sorry to tell, but I have bad feeling about introducing this title. It legitimizes propaganda and force, we should be more humble about things. The subject of the medal work mentioned is RELATED to string theory, it is extremely hard and unfair to say that the work is INDUCED by string theory. Of course all work preceding some work is in so many areas, hence logically it is “induced” by work in most areas in mathematics, as the theorems from their are used substantially. And in the way toward mirror symmetry algebraic geometry, and algebraic number theory insights were so much deeper than the outline which suggested it in derivation of importance of topological sigma models in string theory. The rest was independent work. Gromov-Witten invariants were devised by Gromov in a setup of symplectic geometry. D-branes of type II in terms of derived category of coherent sheaves in work of Kontsevich in 1994 were continuation of Beilinson-Bondal-Kapranov on enhanced derived categories of coherent sheaves in 1980s, and the Polchinski introduction of D-branes under that name in 1995 was chronologically after the algebraic geometry work of Kontsevich. Of course, we are lucky that a couple of people like Witten and Kontsevich indeed have such a grasp both of deep physics and deep mathematics. But we should not make a REDUCTION of this to “string theory” (and in particular not the reduction of CFT to string theory).

Conclusion: I suggest related replacing induced.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited May 2nd 2014)

Sure, I changed “induced” to “closely related”, for political correctness. But personally I think this is quite unfortunate.

Regarding the dilaton: I have no idea if Perelman picked up the dilaton from the string literature or if he redscovered it independently. Luckily in mathematics concepts exists independently of who discovers them and when. The dilaton is always the dilaton, just as the Monster group is always the Monster group, independently of who rediscovers it.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I have added more references at Ricci flow:

The identification of Ricci flow with the renormalization group flow of the bosonic string sigma-model is reviewed for instance in

and discussed in more detail for instance in

• T Oliynyk, V Suneeta, E Woolgar, Irreversibility of World-sheet Renormalization Group Flow, Phys.Lett. B610 (2005) 115-121 (arXiv:hep-th/0410001)

• T Oliynyk, V Suneeta, E Woolgar, A Gradient Flow for Worldsheet Nonlinear Sigma Models, Nucl.Phys. B739 (2006) 441-458 (arXiv:hep-th/0510239)

• Arkady Tseytlin, On sigma model RG flow, “central charge” action and Perelman’s entropy, Phys.Rev.D75:064024,2007 (arXiv:hep-th/0612296)

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2017

Would it be fair to add Maryam Mirzakhani to the list in view of her work on moduli spaces, e.g., here? Bridging the symplectic/complex divide brings the work close to mirror symmetry.

Ah this overview of topological recursion agrees:

…the mathematical meaning of mirror symmetry is unclear. Despite this, quantum topology has received a number of Fields medals for work in and around mirror symmetry, including Jones (1990), Witten (1990), Kontsevich (1998), and Mirzakhani (2014).

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Myself, I don’t know how Mirzakhani’s work really relates to mirror symmetry. But if you find (or since you found) trustworthy citations that make the connection, then it makes sense to go ahead and add that information to the entry. (This goes without saying, right?)

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

It’s more lack of knowledge. So it seems she provided a new proof of the Witten conjecture, which ought to be enough to include her, so I’ve done that.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks for reminding me of that entry. I have touched wording, formatting and hyperlinking at Witten conjecture.