Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorandreas
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2014
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I would like to request a personal web space. If necessary, I could provide some justification for this request in private.
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2014
    • (edited Jun 5th 2014)

Hi Andreas.

Do I know you? (Maybe you want to reply by email.)

We have a whole bunch of personal webs that we (mostly I) created on request, and whose owners abandonded them immediately or almost immediately after they were created. Eventually I have to go after all these people and inform them that there web should be removed etc. etc. I’d need a secretary for keeping track of this (and that at a time where I must not tell any family member that I am even spending time writing messages like this here.)

Therefore I am hesitant to create a new web, unless I know the person really well and have some indication that the web will actually be used.

If you are just looking for a place to make notes, consider using the main nLab! It’s meant to be a place where people make notes on stuff,notes that may eventually grow into something. We are pretty flexible here. Chances are that what the nLab offers you as edit possibilities is already quite sufficient for what you have in mind.

Even if not, editing the nLab a good bit is a good warm-up and test of if a personal web is eventually really necessary.

What do you think?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2014

Is it Andreas Blass?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorandreas
    Not Blass, but Holmstrom. Just sent an email to Urs.
    • CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

Welcome, Andreas. One of your papers was mentioned here.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jun 6th 2014)

So turns out Andreas is looking for a place to host this material here

That’s quite impressive, I hadn’t been aware of that.

Have to run now, though…

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh

Wow! That looks amazing.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

I would like to say that Andreas should put all of that on the Lab!

But if he wants to keep that structure, yet have us do the hosting on a personal web, then I can agree to that. It’s a good body of material, and we already know that it will be linking to the main Lab.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorandreas
    Thanks Toby :-) as I mentioned to Urs, I am no longer in academia, and would like to find a way to preserve these (very rough and personal) notes, in case they can be of value to anyone else. If you have any input on how to actually do the transfer (to the main nLab and/or to a personal web), I would be grateful for suggestions. Copying and pasting each entry would take some time, and I'm useless with coding/scripts. Also, the notes are so personal that I'm a bit reluctant to make them public, but I guess that's what the nLab is designed for.
    • CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Scripted inclusions seems a bit unfeasible to me, as there would be tons of special cases to be accounted for. On the other hand the material on Andreas‘ web is mostly of the kind that on nLab pages we keep under “Related concepts” and “References”. We might just slowly but surely copy-paste these items into the corresponding entries, whenever we touch these.

Is there a source dump or the like of the full body of material?

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Andreas, let me join the chorus to say that that looks like a lot of valuable work!

A personal web can be either published (visible to all) or unpublished. (I have one of each.) Also, a personal web can either be editable by anyone, or editable only by one’s self. I believe the settings can also be changed at a later date. Assuming there is consensus to give you a web, my guess is that if you made it published and open for anyone to edit, the editors (who I think would probably be among the handful of “regulars” here) would take care to preserve your personal POV and simply tweak the TeX as necessary to get it to fit well within our system. But of course the decisions would be entirely up to you.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorandreas
    David, yes I saw Arakelov motivic cohomology being mentioned! Maybe I can start a new thread with some comments.
    • CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorandreas
    Urs, yes, there is a way to export a kind of source dump, which I think is an SQL file (extension .db) of some kind. Not sure how to open it though, a friend of mine set up the whole system a long time ago using SQL and PHP, and all I do is edit the contents. Would you be interested in a copy of this file?
    • CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorandreas
    Todd, thank you. Urs is setting up an unpublished password-protected web tomorrow, and I'll start working with that. But whenever possible I will try to put stuff on the main lab pages instead. In addition to what you see in the above links there are private pages with research ideas, and these ideas are things I would have to sort through and clean up before making them public.
    • CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorandreas
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2014
    And Answer Stacey worked out a script solution to the format conversion problem. With this the transfer should be painless.
    • CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorandreas
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2014
    I have a question though. In many of my private notes, I refer to files in my own folder system, and some of these files might possibly be scans of copyrighted books. Is there a problem here if such notes became public at the nLab? For example, I often write things like "See page 84 of Hartshorne, pdf file in folder AG/General".
    • CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2014

Is there a problem here if such notes became public at the nLab?

I think it is not a problem if it is your personal lab and you are the signer o the edit. I do not know, if the script is used, who signes the edit. Later we can replace some of the links with links to googlebooks or just leave a bibliography.