Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorandreas
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2014

I created this page: http://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/The+Mathematical+Literature

Am I right that I’m supposed to post about this here at the nForum? How big should an edit be in order to deserve a post here?

And can i link from the nForum to the nLab by doing this? The+Mathematical+Literature

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2014

Hi Andreas, as for linking from the nForum, you can just write [[The Mathematical Literature]] and the spaces will be replaced with plus signs. Creating a new page would ideally be announced, as well as general additions to content. On the other end of the spectrum, I fix typos around the place without mentioning it here.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2014
    • (edited Jun 11th 2014)

Is this a proper name ? Normally we do not capitalize etc. names of the pages unless it is a particular name or name of the paper or name of the book.

But this page is superfluous, as it duplicated the idea and the part of the content of the specialized pages we already have. I prefer that we merge it with other pages (that is, if any content is not there put and then make the page history).

We have math resources, math blogs, math archives, math resources by individuals, math institutions, books in algebraic geometry, books and reviews in mathematical physics, books about string theory, list of mathematics software etc. which have more or less the entire content of the page you just created and much more, just the name of the page is different and the pages are interlinked in an attempt to a systematic manner. The pages on the literature should have category:reference. Cf. also http://ncatlab.org/nlab/list/reference for those pages which are indexed that way, what is just minority of those which should.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jun 11th 2014)

Am I right that I’m supposed to post about this here at the nForum?

Yes. The nForum is the “talk pages” of the nLab and its main purpose is not to have random discussion, but to have discussion related to editing activity on the nLab. In particular non-minor edits and new entries should all be announced here.

(Often I just add references here and there and won’t always announce this.)

How big should an edit be in order to deserve a post here?

A while back I used to announce here even the most miniscule edits and the smallest new entries. (Sometimes I create very small entries, just so as to get some link structure into place.) Then at some point that habit seemed to lead to some misunderstanding, with people apparently reading the announcement as carrying with it the claim of relevance. Since then I am not announcing very minor edits anymore. Of course it’s to some degree a subjective decision, but the purpose of announcing anything should be clear: it should be avoided that regulars here are taken by surprise and disconcert by discovering certain nLab material.

Finally, regarding Zoran’s point: he is right that your new entry overlaps with some existing material. That is a general problem that will only become worse as the nLab grows. I hope you and maybe others find the time and energy to harmonize the new material with the existing material that Zoran points out!

Maybe we need a master-reference-page that shows and comments on all the reference pages we have.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Maybe we need a master-reference-page that shows and comments on all the reference pages we have.

I may write it (say within couple of weeks if not earlier).

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

I didn’t quite understand what the plan was for this page, as expressed in “This page is for general thoughts and notes on the mathematics literature as a whole, questions related to open access, etc.”. Particularly I don’t know what ’thoughts’ there were to be, or what notes there were to be besides links, or what ’questions’ there were to be. As far as I know, the sorts of things we have already on this in the nLab are basically lists of references, and not musings.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Jun 11th 2014)

questions related to open access

In my personal lab besides the related page literature (zoranskoda), I keep some pages on the issues of modern scientific publishing, cf. citations (zoranskoda) (part of which I copied to a similar page within Azimuth Project) and opinion page subtracted value (zoranskoda).

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2014

The master list of references is category:reference.

I've moved the page to mathematical literature since it's not a title; whether this overlaps with math resources etc, I leave that to others.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorandreas
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2014

Thanks all of you,and please be patient as I learn the rules of this new game :-)

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2014

Surely. Though the feedback is best (almost necessary) to give right away, as later we forget…