Not signed in (Sign In)

Start a new discussion

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2014

needed to point to ring of integers of a number field. The term used to redirect just to integers. I have split it off now with a minimum of content. Have to rush off now.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Fixed a mathematical typo and added a little more to the Idea section.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • (edited Jul 18th 2014)

I made integer link to ring of integers in the Terminology section.

But we also have algebraic integer (written primarily by Todd) ,which seems to cover much the same ground. (It even has the boldface term ‘ring of integers’ in it, so the redirect probably should have been there all along.)

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2014

Oh, I didn’t see this, sorry. Should be merged.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Btw, thanks for fixing my text. I suppose I left out the condition that the coefficients are integra.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I gave both algebraic integer and ring of integers a brief Idea-section to help the reader with getting an idea of what’s going on before diving into the technical details. Please check if you agree and feel invited to edit as need be.

• CommentRowNumber7.

Do you still want to merge them?

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I wouldn’t mind, but I don’t feel like doing it myself. If you want to, please do!

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2014

I probably will then, but not on this lousy phone!

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2014
    • CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2014

And I have expanded the Idea-sentence just a little and added two more simple examples in the Example-section.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2016
    • (edited Nov 10th 2016)

I made a number of changes in ring of integers. Namely the entry had the format which sugested that the definitions in a number field and in a local nonarchimedean field are different and did not include other cases. I made it the standard way with easy general definition in an arbitrary commutative unital ring. The special cases are now under notation and properties as it should be.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2016

I added a reference at ring of integers to the recently published paper Defining \mathbb{Z} in \mathbb{Q}.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2018

added to the list of examples:

The ring of intergers of a cyclotomic field (ζ n)\mathbb{Q}(\zeta_n) is [ζ n]\mathbb{Z}[\zeta_n], called the ring of cyclotomic integers.

diff, v11, current

Add your comments
  • Please log in or leave your comment as a "guest post". If commenting as a "guest", please include your name in the message as a courtesy. Note: only certain categories allow guest posts.
  • To produce a hyperlink to an nLab entry, simply put double square brackets around its name, e.g. [[category]]. To use (La)TeX mathematics in your post, make sure Markdown+Itex is selected below and put your mathematics between dollar signs as usual. Only a subset of the usual TeX math commands are accepted: see here for a list.

• (Help)