Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2014

added to Lie algebra a brief paragraph general abstract perspective to go along with this MO reply

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2014

I was also looking at Qiaochu’s answer in that MO thread, which I found very nice. Turning to the nLab, I found related material under differential graded coalgebra and differential graded Hopf algebra, which looks nice, but I wanted to understand some of this at a simpler level first.

Is there an adjunction UPU \dashv P where PP takes a cocommutative Hopf algebra to the space of primitives (which I guess is a LIe algebra), and UU takes a Lie algebra to its universal enveloping algebra, viewed as a Hopf algebra?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2014

The answer to my last question is a straightforward ’yes’. It’s amazing that such an easy and basic result isn’t seen in the accounts I’ve looked at.

I’ve added some more material to primitive elements. (The previous version was somewhat flawed because we really need to work in the context of unital coalgebras. It’s a little surprising how many authors forget to mention this!)

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2014

I think I had seen something like that in some of the rational homotopy theory stuff and further back some related ideas in Quillen’s rational homotopy theory paper, but was unable to check so did not mention it. Certainly something like that is mentioned in Tanré’s lecture notes I seem to remember.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2014

@Todd #3: The remarks before Theorem 22.3.1 in More Concise Algebraic Topology come tantalizingly close:

A quick calculation shows that the RR-module PAP A of primitive elemnts of a Hopf algebra AA is a Lie subalgebra. The universal property of U(PA)U(P A) thus gives a natural map of Hopf algebras g:U(PA)Ag:U(P A)\to A…. Let \mathcal{L} and 𝒫ℋ\mathcal{P H} denote the categories of Lie algebras and primitive Hopf algebras over RR. We have functors U:𝒫ℋU:\mathcal{L}\to \mathcal{P H} and P:𝒫ℋP:\mathcal{P H} \to \mathcal{L}, a natural inclusion LP(UL)L\subset P(U L), and a natural epimorphism g:U(PA)Ag:U(P A) \to A… This much would be true over any commutative ring RR, but when RR is a field of characteristic zero we have the following result.

Theorem 22.3.1. The functors UU and PP are inverse equivalences of categories.

• CommentRowNumber6.

Yes, that’s just it! “Tantalizingly close.” (Admittedly, this is the closest I’ve seen yet, so thanks for mentioning! To me it makes sense just to come out and state the adjunction, which holds in maximal generality, and then make a more refined analysis that examine the unit and counit separately under more specific hypotheses.)

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Yeah, to me too.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Aug 1st 2014)

The commutative triangle of functors involving two adjunctions, one mentioned above, is stated at the beginning of the paper

quoted at Loday-Pirashvili category.

• CommentRowNumber9.

Nice – thank you Zoran!

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2019

touched the section Definition – Internal to a general linear category

(added formatting, missing words, hyperlinks)

Will be splitting this off now as a stand-alone entry Lie algebra object.

diff, v46, current

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2019

touched the section Definition – Internal to a general linear category

(added formatting, missing words, hyperlinks)

Will be splitting this off now as a stand-alone entry Lie algebra object.

diff, v46, current

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2021
    • (edited Jan 22nd 2021)

In private email somebody asks:

Historically, who was the first to think of the Lie bracket as an abstract algebraic operation, not defined through a commutator?

diff, v50, current

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2023

added pointer to:

diff, v53, current

1. added pointer to

Quinn

diff, v55, current

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2023