Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorspitters
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2014
    • (edited Aug 2nd 2014)

On the page countable choice there seemed to be an unsubstantiated claim that weak countable choice proves that the Cauchy and the Dedekind reals coincide. I have cleaned it up a bit. It’s not perfect yet.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2014

I probably put it there through mixing up AC 00AC_{00} and WCCWCC in my mind (as both weak forms of CCCC), helped because EMEM also proves this result.

But you don't need DCDC to give every (located Dedekind) real number a Cauchy sequence, even with specified modulus. CCCC is sufficient, because each approximation will automatically be close enough to all of the others if you just make them all twice as precise as would at first seem necessary.

I think that AC 00AC_{00} is enough, but I can't remember why; it's probably in Troelstra & van Dalen.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2017

I added to countable choice the following remark by Fred Richman, which is also borne out by my experience:

Countable choice is a blind spot for constructive mathematicians in much the same way as excluded middle is for classical mathematicians.