Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorbblfish
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2014
    • (edited Aug 22nd 2014)
    The Arrow Category page says
    "For any category C, its arrow category is the functor category Arr(C):=Funct(I,C) for I the interval category {0→1}"
    "This means that the objects of Arr(C) are the morphisms of C"

But Funct(I,C) should be a map between I towards C, which cant be an object whose morphisms are C.

I am new to CT, and am very likely reading this wrong. But how should I read it?
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin

There is a natural bijection between functors ICI \to C and morphisms in CC, namely the map that sends a functor ICI \to C to the image in CC of the morphism 010 \to 1 in II.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

Funct(I,C)Funct(I,C) is not itself a map from II to CC; it is a category (the arrow category itself) whose objects are maps (functors) from II to CC. So an object of Funct(I,C)Funct(I,C) is a functor FF from II to CC.

And what does this functor F:ICF\colon I \to C consist of? II has two objects, 00 and 11; so we need two objects of CC, F(0)F(0) and F(1)F(1). Similarly, II has three morphisms, id 0:00id_0\colon 0 \to 0, i:01i\colon 0 \to 1, and id 1:11id_1\colon 1 \to 1; so we need three morphisms of CC, F(id 0):F(0)F(0)F(\id_0)\colon F(0) \to F(0), F(i):F(0)F(1)F(i)\colon F(0) \to F(1), and F(id 1):F(1)F(1)F(\id_1)\colon F(1) \to F(1). Since the functor FF must preserve identities, we need F(id 0)=id F(0)F(\id_0) = \id_{F(0)} and F(id 1)=id F(1)F(\id_1) = \id_{F(1)}, so the data remaining is precisely that in the morphism f(i):F(0)F(1)f(i)\colon F(0) \to F(1). It now remains to check that the functor FF preserves composition, but it does.

So a functor from II to CC consists of precisely the same information as a morphism in CC.

We still have to check that the morphisms in Funct(I,C)Funct(I,C) (which are natural transformations) correspond in this way to commutative squares in CC, as claimed; I leave that to you.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorbblfish
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2014
    Thanks @TobyBartels, that helped a lot. There should be links from the wiki page to relevant answers like that, as it is very useful. I drew a few diagrams out and convinced myself it works.
    • CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

One problem with this article is that it still shows our early tendency to give everything the slickest definition possible. I've rewritten it in a way that I think is more comprehensible.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorbblfish

yes, I see. While the previous definition is good for the brain if one has faith enough to pursue it, it does leave one with the feeling that in CT the easy is explained by the more complex. With your new definition the intuitive is explained first, then one gets an identity statement with a purer, though more complex way of stating things.