Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2014
    • (edited Sep 22nd 2014)

Khan Academy has developed a MathJax alternative, called KaTeX, which is apparently significantly faster. See a performance comparison here (note that the length of the bars represent operations per second, not seconds per operation as I first assumed). The LaTeX subset it supports is pretty limited at the moment, see here, but I think it’s worth keeping an eye on the project, as I think it would really cut down our page load time. Thanks to David Roberts for making me aware of this.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

Does KaTeX convert from MathML or only from its LaTeX subset? If it doesn’t convert from MathML then it is irrelevant for the nGroup webpages. And that’s the conversion that you’d need to look at, not conversion from its LaTeX subset. Moreover, I wonder how much of that performance gain is due to its limitations.

So keep an eye on it, but a wary one.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin

How on earth are they getting around the problem of requiring reflow? That seems like magic…

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2014
    • (edited Sep 23rd 2014)

This issue on GitHub makes it look like they don’t use/support MathML.

EDIT: no, I got it wrong. That issue is asking whether they could render to MathML, and it doesn’t do that. Not sure how to find out except asking the devs.