Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorBubbles
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2014
    • (edited Oct 7th 2014)
    There is a sentence in the article on the definition of a coverage that I don't quite understand.

http://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/coverage

Under the section "Sheaves on a site", it is said that for a family of coterminal morphisms [...] a presheaf X is a sheaf if: [...]
    The condition stated afterwards is what puzzles me. What is exactly the condition on the elements x_i? The sentence itself doesn't really make sense to me.

Also, what is meant by "a family of coterminal morphisms" in this case, is it a condition on the family? My guess is that it is a family which can be used as the covering family which must exists for any other family (if that makes sense).

I tried to read the article "sheaf", but this puzzles me more. It speaks of "compatible families of elements", but I don't see how the link provided ("matching family") explains that in that particular setting.
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2014

Also, what is meant by “a family of coterminal morphisms” in this case, is it a condition on the family?

This is just a family of morphisms with the same codomain, in this case U.

What is exactly the condition on the elements x_i?

A family of elements x_i∈X(U_i) is compatible if for all g: V→U_i and h: V→U_j (where V is arbitrary) such that f_i g = f_j h we have X(g)(x_i) = X(h)(x_j).

The entire condition can now be reformulated as follows:

For any compatible collection of elements x_i \in X(U_i) there exists a unique x∈X(U) such that X(f_i)(x)=x_i for all i.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorBubbles
    Thanks!

So if I understand it correctly, in the definition of a sheaf in the article "sheaf", the sentence "and for every compatible family of elements given by tuples[...]" not impose any more conditions on the family of elements other than exactly what is stated right afterwards, namely "such that for all morphisms[...]" (which is your definition above). It confused me because it seemed like being a "compatible family" was an additional criterion on the family of elements.
    • CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov

Yes, compatible family simply means what I wrote above, i.e., a family of sections that match on the intersections. The statement in the article is certainly ambiguous and would clearly benefit from splitting out the definition of a compatible family.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

Handy link: coverage.