Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2014

I have added pointer to Mike’s discussion of spectral sequences here at “homotopy spectral sequence” and in related entries.

But now looking at this I am unsure what the claim is: has this been formalized in HoTT?

(Clearly a question for Mike! :-)

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Not in the sense of being implemented in a proof assistant, no.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Okay, thanks.

How about the long homotopy fiber sequences of homotopy groups? I hear that Voevodsky has formalized this? Is the code publically available?

I was wondering, more specifically, what’s the status in HoTT of computing, in principle, homotopy groups of finite cell complexes (i.e. of HITs) more general than spheres.

• CommentRowNumber4.

I’m not well-up on what Voevodsky has done, but you could look through the UniMath library that he works on.

I don’t know of much work on finite cell complexes other than spheres; I think most everyone has considered that spheres are hard enough to start with. Except for the really easy cases like a finite wedge of circles.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorCharles Rezk
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2014

What is a “finite cell complex” in HoTT? What does “finite cell complex” correspond to in terms of an \infty-topos model?

• CommentRowNumber6.

I’m really asking: how do you construct the “type” of finite cell complexes in HoTT?

• CommentRowNumber7.

One definition is that a finite cell complex is a non-recursive HIT whose constructors take no inputs. That’s a meta-theoretic definition, so it doesn’t let you construct “the type of finite cell complexes”. Another definition is that a finite cell complex is an iterated pushout of maps S n1S^n \to 1. That can be internalized, e.g. the type of kk-cell complexes is defined recursively on kk where a (k+1)(k+1)-cell complex is specified by choosing a kk-cell complex XX, a natural number nn, and a map S nXS^n\to X.

Either way, the finite cell complexes in an \infty-topos model will be the tensors of 11 by ordinary finite cell complexes in Gpd\infty Gpd, or equivalently the images of ordinary finite cell complexes under the left adjoint Δ:GpdH\Delta : \infty Gpd \to \mathbf{H} to the global sections functor.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2014

I don’t think that can be right. Maps S pS qS^p\to S^q in H\mathbf{H} need not always arise from Gpd\infty\Gpd.

For instance, consider H=Gpd /T\mathbf{H}=\infty\Gpd_{/T} for some space TT. The internal mapping object Map T(S k,S n)\Map_T(S^k,S^n) is the projection map Map(S k,S n)×TT\Map(S^k,S^n)\times T\to T. It’s 00-truncation is (π kS n)×TT(\pi_k S^n) \times T\to T, so the “homotopy group” is what you expect. But the space of sections of Map T(S k,S n)T\Map_T(S^k,S^n)\to T is equivalent to Map(S k×T,S n)\Map(S^k\times T,S^n), so its π 0\pi_0 could be much bigger. (Or smaller, if T=T=\varnothing.)

• CommentRowNumber9.

Oh, yes, you’re right. So there could be more finite cell complexes in some model than there are in Gpd\infty Gpd.

• CommentRowNumber10.

I guess it’s complicated. There is a type Fin\mathrm{Fin} which is the recursive type you alluded to. An F:FinF\colon \mathrm{Fin} knows all about its own attaching maps and stuff. This type comes with a “realization” map R:Fin𝒰R\colon \mathrm{Fin}\to \mathcal{U} to the type of types, which you can then factor through its (1)(-1)-truncation: Fin𝒰 Fin𝒰\mathrm{Fin} \to \mathcal{U}_{\mathrm{Fin}} \hookrightarrow \mathcal{U}. You might think of 𝒰 Fin\mathcal{U}_{\mathrm{Fin}} as the type of “types having the homotopy type of a finite complex”, except that there is the odd problem that I can’t necessarily lift a map 1𝒰 Fin1\to \mathcal{U}_{\mathrm{Fin}} to a map 1Fin1\to \mathrm{Fin}. I would guess that in a sheaf model, 𝒰 Fin\mathcal{U}_{\mathrm{Fin}} corresponds to objects which are “locally” finite complexes, e.g., whose stalks are equivalent to finite complexes.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2014

Right, exactly. In fact FinFin and RR have to be defined mutually, either by mutual recursion or induction-recursion, since the type of attaching maps at stage n+1n+1 depends on knowing the realization of stage nn. Your guess about models seems plausible.