Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2010

Someone has effectively launched a 'denial of service' attack against the nLab. It brought it down yesterday and it's happening again now.

While technically this is an attack, the specifics make me think that it is an attack-by-accident: namely someone is doing something by mistake that is causing the 'denial of service'.

In short, a DoS (denial of service) attack occurs when something floods the webserver with so many requests that it can't handle them all at once and effectively locks everyone out. What seems to be happening here is that something is trying to download every single page on the nLab. That's EVERY SINGLE PAGE in case you missed it. Including every revision.

That's EVERY REVISION. There's TWENTY-THREE THOUSAND of those.

Sorry for the shouting.

There's not a lot I can do about this, except shut down the server and hope that whoever is doing this goes away. I can block the IP, I can take down just the virtual host that these requests are going to, but that doesn't stop the requests coming in. And each request that comes in, has to be dealt with even if it's just to say "Go away". So that takes up time, and the shear number of requests means that it still floods the system.

What makes me think that this is an attack-by-accident is that it is coming from one specific IP, both today and yesterday, and that IP is attached (it seems) to a university! It is:

134.176.68.5 fbzelangenhorst.zmi.uni-giessen.de

If you recognise any of that, please contact me!

In the meantime, I have blocked that IP. At the moment, ncatlab.org is down. The machine is running absolutely fine, and the other aliases should work (www.ncatlab.org and nlab.mathforge.org) but since they all point to the same place, someone flooding ncatlab.org also floods the other two.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

Right, it wasn't going away so I've blocked that IP at an even lower level - it doesn't even reach the web server at all. In fact, as far as 134.176.68.5 is concerned, the nlab no longer exists.

For the rest of us, the nLab seems to be back.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    I talked about this with Andrew behind the scenes. It seems that the requests are coming from the media sociology department in Giessen, Germany, where the people work whose conference I mentioned here. This group studies the usage of new electronic media in science, and the nCafe and the nLab are among their objects of study.

I have contacted them now and notified them that whatever they did, it happened to be hurting our server. As soon as I hear back; I'll let you know.
    • CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Urs gets a brown belt in detective business :)

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorHarry Gindi
    I thought that there were methods to block classical denial of service attacks, and that's why DDOS attacks are so important.
    • CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    I have heard back from somebody now. The computer having caused the problem seems to be indeed one of theirs, and that person apologizes and promises to check what may have happened.