Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMirco Richter
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2014
    • (edited Dec 4th 2014)

Reading through the construction of the generalized universal bundle in the section category of fibrant objects if have a problem with the existence.

Accordng to the definition, In a category of fibrant objects it is not assumed that every pullback exists, but only those of fibrations. But then given a morphism f:CBf: C \to B in a category of fibrant objects, the generalized universal bundles is defined by a pullback diagram as in Definition 3 of category of fibrant objects.

Is this an ordinary (not homotopy) pullback? Then I would say, this does not necessarily exist, since ff is not assumed to be a fibration.

Then concerning Definition (computing the homotopy fiber in terms of certain pullbacks) again, those pullbacks in the limit do not necessarily exist, do they? Because the proof of Lemma 10 requires the existence of pullbacks, but in a category of fibered objects pullbacks need only exist for fibrations. So if in the proof v:BCv: B \to C or u:ACu: A \to C are not fibrations, the construction does not work, I think.

Am I seeing that wrong?

And by the way, the link to the book of Kenneth S. Brown gives an empty pdf on my computer.

A working link with open access is here: http://www.ams.org/journals/tran/1973-186-00/S0002-9947-1973-0341469-9/S0002-9947-1973-0341469-9.pdf

• CommentRowNumber2.

Reading through the book of K.S. Brown the question remains, how the definition in the book is equivalent to the definition in category of fibrant objects ?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • (edited Dec 4th 2014)

That entry if kicking! On Firefox I get error messages:

XML Parsing Error: no element found Location: http://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/category+of+fibrant+objects Line Number 1331, Column 1585:

On Safari some of the page loads but the end does not, so presumably there is something wrong after that.

(EDIT: the problem has cleared.)

• CommentRowNumber4.

On Chromium, I face some math typesetting errors for days all over the nLab, too.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • (edited Dec 4th 2014)

Loading it on Safari is patchy. I tried shortly after my previous message and it loaded. (The pdf file seems dead as you said, Mirco.)

Has there been an update of some of the Mathml related programs?

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • (edited Dec 4th 2014)

Yes but the new link I gave above

http://www.ams.org/journals/tran/1973-186-00/S0002-9947-1973-0341469-9/

or directly http://www.ams.org/journals/tran/1973-186-00/S0002-9947-1973-0341469-9/S0002-9947-1973-0341469-9.pdf

works for me.

Anyway, my problem boils down to the following:

1.) In the nLab entry the axiom says: finite products and pullbacks of fibrations exists.

2.) In the paper of brown ther axiom (c) saying, that for a diagram

AuCvBA \xrightarrow{u} C\xleftarrow{v} B where vv is a fibration, the pullback A× CBA \times_{C} B exist, and the projection p:A× CBAp: A \times_{C} B \to A is a fibration.

So what I don’t see is how the nLab def is equivalent to that of Brown, I.e how we can follow axiom (C) from the nLab definition. Maybe this is obvious, but I would say it is worth, at least, to mention how this works. Axiom (C) is of central importance for the computation of the generalized universal bundles and the homotopy fiber product as in the entry.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • (edited Dec 4th 2014)

Or is it just that “pullbacks of fibrations exist” just means exactly axiom (C), that is “pullbacks of fibrations exist” means only one arrow in the index diagram needs to be a fibation?

Ok I’m not an English native, but then “pullbacks of fibrations exist” should be called “pullbacks of a fibration exist” or something. Don’t? For me the first one sounds like “the pullback exists, if BOTH arrows are fibrations.”

• CommentRowNumber8.

I would read it as ’a pullback of any fibration along a morphism to its base exists’. I think the point is that the traditional / classical view of ’change of base’ is influencing the wording in the original paper. The sense you had read was perhaps the result of the many years from KSB’s article to the present.

• CommentRowNumber9.

Now it makes sense. However not Browns definition sounds ambiguous. His ’axiom (C)’ is very clear, but the one in the nLab entry leaves room for misinterpretation.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Yes, as Tim says, “pullback of XYZ” means along any morphism. Pullback is something that one does to one thing and along a base morphism. Otherwise, when both morphisms are regarded on the same footing, then one rather speaks of their fiber product. But to clarify I have added to the entry “(along any morphism)”.

Please fix the link to the pdf where you see the need!

• CommentRowNumber11.

All right then.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh

I would propose condensing the first three axioms

into

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Fine with me. Please feel invited to polish the entry.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh

OK, done.