Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2015

Recently I’ve noticed that iTeX is displaying strangely in Firefox, both at work and at home. The most obvious manifestation is that some relation and operator symbols, like subtraction and equality, are shifted downwards from where they should be positioned. Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2015

Apparently no one else is seeing anything like this?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorspitters
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2015

Could you give a sample page?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2015

Here I see this.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorspitters

Looks fine on my side. Both FF and Chromium.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin

Hmmm. It works fine for me. I would guess it’s a font issue on your side. Perhaps it would be worth calling up the element inspector and finding out what font is being used.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorRodMcGuire
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2015

Mike - you never said what browser you are using (Fire Fox with MathMl or something using MathJax) and I presume you have them setup up the same at home and work.

calling up the element inspector and finding out what font is being used.

For what its worth you really can’t determine what actual font is being used supposedly because installed fonts is a property of the computer not the browser. At best you can find the font-family and from there guess what is being used. in my FF I inspected the “-” in “ 1\sharp_{-1}” and found that its computed family is

"MathJax_Main,STIXGeneral,Cambria,Cambria Math,XITS,Latin Modern Math,DejaVu Serif,DejaVu Sans,Times,Lucida Sans Unicode,OpenSymbol,Standard Symbols L,serif"

When I click on Fonts for this only Cambria shows up so I guess that is what is being used. (I thought I had installed STIX at some point but maybe not the right variant.)

(I’ve just been poking around in fonts on my computer because I’ve been having simple fonts, such as CourierNew, sometimes display without some horizontal strokes. This problem now seems intermittent so I’m guessing it is a display hardware problem or something to do with low level display code. Has anybody seen this before?)

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2015

My first comment said “in Firefox”… although it seems that an update of some sort has fixed the problem at home. (Unfortunately I can’t just “install the same update” at work, since at home I have Ubuntu and at work I have RHEL.)

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorRichard Williamson
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2015
    • (edited Feb 13th 2015)

I’m not sure if this is the correct thread to post in, but I have a different issue: the majority of (maybe all) mathematical symbols are doubled in my browser! Instead of \infty, for instance, I will see \infty \infty.

I use an obscure webkit browser, dwb, which is why I have not mentioned anything before: I of course would not expect anything to be done if this is a browser specific problem. If it is a problem for all webkit browsers, though, (I do not know whether this is the case), maybe it could be looked into? The symbols display fine in Chromium, which is also based on webkit, but as far as I am aware Chromium is not a ’pure’ webkit browser, things have been tweaked, and maybe one of these things means that the symbols display properly?

I am pretty sure that dwb is using MathJax to display mathematics.

I should say that it seems to be only the nForum where my browser has this issue, other websites where my browser renders mathematics using MathJax, such as the nLab, display fine.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorMathforge Admin
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2015
    • (edited Feb 15th 2015)

For what its worth you really can’t determine what actual font is being used supposedly because installed fonts is a property of the computer not the browser.

Actually, you can. At least in Firefox. There’s an add-on called “Font Finder” that allows you to find out the actual font used for any element.