Not signed in (Sign In)

Start a new discussion

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-categories 2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry bundles calculus categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-theory cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science connection constructive constructive-mathematics cosmology definitions deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry differential-topology digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundations functional-analysis functor galois-theory gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry goodwillie-calculus graph graphs gravity grothendieck group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory history homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory internal-categories k-theory lie-theory limit limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal-logic model model-category-theory monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology multicategories noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topological topology topos topos-theory type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthortrent
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2015
    • (edited Apr 18th 2015)

I added a blurb from and link to Connes most recent lecture (Temps et aléa du quantique (english)) on the time page. (Added both for its innate interest and to help understand the transit between mathematics and philosophical intuition).

When I was in preparatory school, my teacher asked me (…) “what is a variable?”. I reflected and reflected, and after a while, I said “time”. (…) The topic of my talk is that I believe we are all used, because of our constitution and so on, to attribute variability to the passing of time. The thesis which I will propose and try to back with mathematical results is the following: I believe that the true variability is quantum, and that the true variability is the fact that when you take a quantum observable it doesn’t have a single value, but it has many possible values which are given by the spectrum of the operator, plus the fact that discrete variables cannot coexist with continuous variables without the quantum formalism. I will explain how time emerges from these facts. I have never tried to explain this idea, I know it’s difficult, and its difficult because in my mind it is backed up by an intuition which comes from many years of work, and this is the most difficult thing to transmit. (…) How to explain this? (…) The answer I believe comes from Von Neumann (suitably implemented and very much ameliorated). (…) In the 40’s and 50’s Von Neumann was asking what does it mean to have a subsystem? What does it mean that somehow, the Hilbert space in which you work is a Hilbert space in which you have partial knowledge of things because the system is a composite system and there is a part of the system which you know and a part which you ignore? What Von Neumann was trying to understand was factorizations. (gives lecture on factorizations…) By the way, I should say that this is why I spent many years studying Noncommutative Geometry: the simplest geometric origin of Von Neumann factorization is foliations. If you take the simplest foliation (well, I don’t know if it’s the simplest), the [???] foliation of the sphere bundle of a Riemann surface, you get the most exotic factorization of Von Neumann? (type III1).

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

Thanks, Trent! I thought that lecture was in French, so I wasn’t going to watch it. But it looks pretty good from what I saw already. The comments about Newton-style infinitesimals are interesting…

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter

What is the origin of the English text?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthortrent

the text is composed of excerpts from 10:45 - 17something (w/ some paraphrasing) + the final comment starting at 57:52. despite the french title and youtube blurb, the lecture was delivered in english.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2016

Since we had a talk on the philosophy of time here yesterday, I thought I’d add something brief on this at time.

Add your comments
  • Please log in or leave your comment as a "guest post". If commenting as a "guest", please include your name in the message as a courtesy. Note: only certain categories allow guest posts.
  • To produce a hyperlink to an nLab entry, simply put double square brackets around its name, e.g. [[category]]. To use (La)TeX mathematics in your post, make sure Markdown+Itex is selected below and put your mathematics between dollar signs as usual. Only a subset of the usual TeX math commands are accepted: see here for a list.

• (Help)