Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2015

I changed “irreflexive graph” to “directed graph” (aka quiver), as such a presheaf is more commonly known. (Irreflexive to my mind means loops at a vertex are forbidden.)

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorThomas Holder
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2015
    • (edited May 17th 2015)

’Irreflexive’ is admittedly potentially irritating. On the other hand, in the context of the gros-petit distinction where Lawvere uses this terminology it is not unreasonable as ’irreflexive’ graphs play second (derived&contrastive) fiddle to reflexive graphs there. He explicitly defends the terminology as ’appropriate’ in ’Qualitative distinctions’ (1989, p.272).

In my view, the nlab should have in principle a consistent terminology for the categories but should also be able to give a meaningful search result for ’irreflexive graphs’ be that a redirect link or a footnote with a caveat insofar Lawvere’s usage collides with established terminology in graph theory.

• CommentRowNumber3.

I put in a parenthetical comment that Lawvere calls them irreflexive graphs, which might suffice for a search result internal to the nLab, but please feel free to do more if you feel it is warranted, so long as “directed graphs” and “quivers” remain.

I am not able to access page 272 from Google books, and I was denied access to the article which is hosted by the wordpress blog Conceptual Mathematics as I am not a member of that blog; I guess it’s now by invitation only. So I can’t really comment on Lawvere’s use of language.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • (edited May 17th 2015)

That’s fine with me. Thanks for enhancing the readability of the entry!

I brought the Lawvere paper up mainly because I thought that you might be interested in his point of view. He writes there:

Its actions 𝒮 P op\mathcal{S}^{\mathbf{P}^{op}} are the irreflexive graphs (the negative is in a way appropriate even for those objects which happen to have loops at some point p, for morphisms are allowed to interchange any two such loops). (Lawvere 1989, p.272)

In a context where one contrasts the petit topos of graphs with the gros it is a natural choice. In a more general situation one might indeed prefer other terms.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

I’m not convinced that any of these comments argue meaningfully for the terminology “irreflexive” as applied to these objects.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorPeter Heinig
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2017
    • (edited Jun 17th 2017)

étendue had

iff all morphisms in 𝒞\mathcal{C} are monic. For monoids this amounts to being cancellative: m 1m=m 2mm_1m=m_2m implies m 1=m 2m_1=m_2 and includes all free monoids.

in which the implication appears to have had the order of the factors accidentally wrong (since monoids are not usually assumed commutative by default, and since the fact that 𝒞 op\mathcal{C}^{op} is the base category here seems not to make that right; the sentence was about 𝒞\mathcal{C}); simply deleted the implication and made a link to left cancellative category, and slightly reworded.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2017

Seems like a good call – thanks.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2018

I added an argument that slices of étendues are étendues which has the corollary that slices of IAC toposes are IAC toposes as well. It would be good if somebody could check the argument.

diff, v21, current