Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorEmily Riehl
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2015

At the nLab entry on exact squares, under the section on “generalizations”, there is a comment that I take to mean that the internal notion of pointwise Kan extension definable in any 2-category with commas (stable under pasting with comma squares) is not the same as the enriched notion of pointwise Kan extension (defined in Kelly’s book) in the case of the 2-category of VV-categories. Where can I learn more about this? What is the difference?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorThomas Holder
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2015

Steve Lack’s 2-companion has in sec. 2.2 (p.116 of the book version) a short remark on pointwise left Kan extensions where he says concerning the difference:

the problem is that for 𝒱\mathcal{V}-categories A and B, the (𝒱\mathcal{V})-functor category [A,B][A,B] should really be regarded as a 𝒱\mathcal{V}-category, but the 2-category 𝒱Cat\mathcal{V}-\mathbf{Cat} can’t see this extra structure. There are ways around this if B is sufficiently complete or cocomplete.

So this is probably already discussed in one of the classic texts on abstract extensions like Kelly-Street, Street-Walters or Street. There is also a tac paper by Koudenberg that might be helpful as the abstract promises a generalization relative to which the enriched and the 2-categorical concept coincide.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2015

In the remarks after Theorem 4.43 in Kelly’s book we find:

Street in [71] has given a definition of “pointwise Kan extension” in any 2-category with finite limits; it agrees with our notion when V=Set\mathbf{V} = Set, but is strictly stronger for a general V\mathbf{V}, and is hence not suited to our context.

[71] is “Fibrations and Yoneda’s lemma in a 2-category”. However, at the moment I don’t remember seeing a justification of this statement (e.g. a particular V\mathbf{V} and a particular situation where the two definitions differ) anywhere.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorRoald
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2015

In the case of enriching over Cat\mathbf{Cat}, I would say that the problem is that the comma object of a pair of 2-functors into a 2-category CC doesn’t “see” the cells of CC.

For an example in which this gives trouble take BB to be the “walking cell”, i.e. the 2-category generated by a single cell, and MM the “walking pair of parallel arrows”, i.e. BB with its cell removed.

If I checked things correctly then the 2-functor l:BMl \colon B \to M given by collapsing onto the source-object of MM is the enriched left Kan extension of the 2-functors that map the terminal 2-category onto the source-objects of BB and MM respectively. This Kan extension is however not pointwise in the target-object of BB in the sense of Street. Some details are in Example 2.24 of my thesis.

If you want to make formal this “doesn’t see the cells”, then the language of double categories is useful. In the double category of 2-categories, the comma object of 2-functors ff and gg into CC coincides with the tabulation (= the double limit of a horizontal morphism) of the representable 2-profunctor C(f,g)C(f, g). We could say that the comma object “captures enough of CC” whenever the defining cell of this tabulation is opcartesian.

Finally, you can rewrite Dubuc/Kelly’s notion of enriched Kan extension in terms of “biclosed equipments”, like is done on the nLab here. By “unfolding” the resulting notion it can be considered as a notion of pointwise Kan extension in any double category 𝒦\mathcal{K}. The main result of my paper implies that, if 𝒦\mathcal{K} is an equipment that has opcartesian tabulations, then pointwise left Kan extensions along companions in 𝒦\mathcal{K} coincide with pointwise left Kan extensions in the vertical 2-category contained in 𝒦\mathcal{K}; the latter in Street’s sense.

Hope this helps!

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2015

Nice example Roald, thanks! I added it to Kan extension.