Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2015
    • (edited May 26th 2015)

this must be some general abstract fact and I am just being ignorant:

Consider a topos H\mathbf{H} and a map f:XYf \colon X \longrightarrow Y all whose fibers are tiny objects. Then does the base change f *= f:H /XH /Yf_\ast = \prod_f \colon \mathbf{H}_{/X} \longrightarrow \mathbf{H}_{/Y} (dependent product) preserve colimits?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin
    • (edited May 26th 2015)

What do you mean by “fibres are tiny objects”? My definition would be “ff is a tiny object in /Y\mathcal{H}_{/ Y}”. After all, a general topos does not have enough points.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Right, so I should be more concrete. Take the Cahiers topos, consider the monad \Im which is right adjoint to the comonad \Re which is left Kan extension along the functor that contracts away infinitesimal thickening. Then does dependent product along the units XXX \to \Im X of \Im preserve colimits?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

In what sense are “the fibers” of those maps tiny?

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2015

The fiber of XXX \to \Im X over a point x:*XXx \colon \ast \to X \to \Im X is the infinitesimal disk around xx in XX.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • (edited May 27th 2015)

Don’t want to derail this with my current obsession, but in view of #4, where at arithmetic jet space there is

… the pp-formal neighbourhood of any arithmetic scheme XX around a global point x:Spec()Xx \colon Spec(\mathbb{Z}) \to X is the space of lifts

Spf( p) x^ X Spec(), \array{ Spf(\mathbb{Z}_p) && \stackrel{\hat x}{\longrightarrow}&& X \\ & \searrow && \swarrow \\ && Spec(\mathbb{Z}) } \,,

this means there should be an \Im such that fiber of X(X)X \to \Im(X) is equal to that space of lifts? And that (X)\Im(X) is Buium’s J J_\infty from p.4 here?

Then I should also be thinking about Borger’s (W n) *(W_n)_\ast.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin
    • (edited May 27th 2015)

@Urs

I’m not really familiar with the Cahiers topos, but are those infinitesimal discs really tiny objects? My impression is that they are not representable sheaves (but perhaps rather ind-representable), which seems like an obstacle to being tiny.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited May 27th 2015)

@Zhen Lin: true, if we allow infinitesimals of arbitrary order, then those infinitesimal disks are genuine formal disks. I am happy to restrict attention to the case where we use only infinitesimals up to any fixed finite order kk and consider the unit of X (k)XX \longrightarrow \Im_{(k)}X.

@David, yes, this Spf( p)Spf(\mathbb{Z}_p) is precisely the incarnation of the formal disk 𝔻\mathbb{D} in this arithmetic context, the one around the point (p)(p) in Spec( p)Spec(\mathbb{Z}_p).

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Ok, well, as Zhen suggested in #2, we should probably expect to need a more internal notion of “tiny fibers” rather than just looking at the global points.